Parents and firearms?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Rugers9, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I recently purchased my first firearm, pistol to be exact, and my mom seems to be a little uneasy with it. What is a good way to make it easier or ,more comfortable with me having a firearm in the house?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

If it's her house, it's her rules so maybe get a small safe, show her it's safely stored.

Take her to the range with you, acquaint her with the basic safety rules, let her shoot it for herself. So many people who exhibit "hopolophobia" seem to be cured of this disease once they send a few down range. I can think of one poster here in particular whose mind was changed after her first shooting experience.

Target shooting is a wonderful family bonding experience. It builds trust, respect and maybe even a ittle healthy competition!

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am a bit older than you, (I have a family and house of my own) but my mother was very uneasy when I started buying firearms, even though I was no longer living in her house. It has been 30 years now and she is just now asking to go to the range and shoot a gun for the first time in her life. She is 81 years old now. In hindsight I should have offered to bring her years ago.

I would definitely recommend that you educate her about firearms and invite her to go to the range. Like I said, I should have done it years ago. it is much more difficult to do it at my mothers age.

4. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

Thank you both for the tips I will try these suggestions.