Parenting....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Zombiegirl, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Saw this picture on Facebook and people were arguing for and against this type of punishment. What do you think?

image-540860807.jpg

2. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I think parents have the right to punish there kids in their own way it's not people place to say what you are making your child do is wrong or that's not right man if you ask me she got off lucky if I lied to my dad and he found out I got my ass beat so hard I couldn't sit down right for the next day

3. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I have threatened to embarrass my daughter as a punishment, thankfully they were empty threats as she was a good girl. Now I do remember standing up to eat dinner several times growing up, I do not feel I have been abused at all. Actually I was lucky I never got caught for some of the things I did.

A parent that disciplines a child to teach them right from wrong with out anger usually does a good job.

4. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I saw that on Facebook and gave it a "Like" right away.

I saw another one on there where a kid was standing on the corner with a similar sigh saying:

"I stole my neighbor's bicycle because I want to be a looser and spend most of my life in jail but my Mom thinks I'm worth saving and might turn out to be a better person than that"

I "Liked" that one too.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah. I don't see anything wrong with that. :confused:

There is no harm or cruelty to the child, s/he is merely confessing his/her lie to those that wish to read the sign. Hardly capital punishment by any stretch and the father is right there, so s/he isn't in any danger.

I say good on the father for being that involved in his kid's life and going's on. Too many kids in households where they have only one parent, or one parent who isn't aware what the kid is up too because they have to work 2 or 3 jobs.

This child is learning a lesson and the father is there to make sure s/he doesn't short the lesson time or be put in harm's way because of it.

Good parenting is my vote.

JD

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I thought it was great but a lot of people said it was "cruel". I hate dishonesty so I got a kick out of this.

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I think that little girl ought to be thankful that she has a father that cares that much about her.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To me, the only "permanent marks" left would be the lesson has been learned.

The child may not like (or understand) this punishment now, but the effects will last.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Nothing wrong with a little shame and humility to teach a lesson.

Now degradation is another matter. If she were standing out there naked while holding that sign, that's a whole nother ball game. Or even just wearing a funny hat might be pushing it a little.

I'm a fan of public apologies. I make my son apologize to people in public, loud enough for everyone to hear. It has a huge impact on him, so much so that I haven't had to do that in about a year.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i saw it and liked it too. nothing wrong here folks move along please. hehe

11. tri70

tri70 New Member

Nothing wrong with this punishment, my wife and kids think its tough if I take their phone away for a week! :eek:

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Only thing wrong with that is that she is letting the sign droop; she should be holding it up.

13. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

14. bkt

bkt New Member

The sooner kids learn the sting of unintended consequences the better. That this kid is (hopefully) learning what it feels like to be ashamed and embarrassed for his actions is one of the lessons a parent is there to teach.

15. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Anyone who thinks this type of punishment is cruel or abusive is the REASON that our society is so messed up.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I agree. I see terrible parenting all the time......

17. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I laughed out loud when I read this. Haha. :)

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

JD- you are ABSOLUTELY correct. There are people that NEVER learn that there are consequences for their actions. Then one day they are in front of a judge who is telling them what the consequences are- and they look like they have been run over by a truck.

Is that cruel? No. Emotionally painful? Well, DUH! It is supposed to be! As a child you learned not to pick up hot things, because it HURT. As a result, you do not have tissue damage from being burned by hot objects. Those kids are learning that their actions have consequences.

My youngest daughter is in the process of blending families- she is gaining 2 sons- 14 and 17, in addition to the 16 yr old daughter she already has. Heard the 16 yr old talking to the 17 yr old about HIS behavior (he had just been caught where he was not supposed to be, and tried to lie about it) The 16 yr old (Yep- that is the Anarchist-in-training) told him- "You're being stupid. Anything you are thinking about- Mom already tried it when she was your age- and SHE got caught by Grandpa."