Parent who dont like guns.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Keginth28, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

My parents have a problem with me having a gun in the house bc I have a 3 year old son. I have a safe for it! And it's not loaded!

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Teach your son about guns when the time comes and unless you're still living with your parents, it is none of their business what you have in your house.

3. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Tell your parents to pull the heads out of the sand and follow you too the range.

Share this Freud quote with your dad. "Fear of weaponry in the adult male is a sign of sexual and emotional retardation".

If all else fails tell them to piss off. Your house, your kid, your gun. So what's the problem?

Tack

4. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

We live in there rent house and they say if we have a gun, they have to put it on there insurance, do u know if thats true?

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Your house? Your kid? Your gun? Your safe? Your responsibility?

Tell them you don't want to hear anymore about it. Be respectful, after all, they are your parents, but let them know it is not their decision, choice, or child.

I get along great with my mom. My dad, not so much, haven't spoken to him in about a year and a half.

I've had to tell my mom on more than one occasion, "Hey, that's enough, I'm a grown man making my own decisions. You did a good job as a parent, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about." That little "you did a good job as a parent" usually makes her stop and think about the fact that she really did do a good job, and she realizes that in the end, I'll be okay with my own rewards and consequences based on my own actions.

And to think, I was the one giving her a lecture on getting a motorcycle. Those darn parents. :)

6. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

My dad I think trust me, but doesn't want the extra stress of worrying about it, and that quote is awesome lol

7. orangello

orangello New Member

When your parents were raising you, it was their duty to make up the rules for you. Now it is your duty to make up the rules for your kid. Thank them for their advice and do what you think is best. If they take issue with your decision, thank them for their advice and move on......and maybe dress the kid as Rambo for Halloween. IOW, don't be a dick, but raise your own kid.

My sister is anti-gun; i email her ads for tasers and pepper spray and occaisionally comment on the probability of her mini-dogs outrunning her in the event of a burglary.

Regarding their insurance on their rental property: Let them know that you have a safe & store the firearm in the safe then offer to answer any other questions their insurance agent has. You should make sure that your agent knows about it for your renter's insurance.

Personally, i don't see a reason to unload the pistol if it is in the locked safe. Most of what is in my safe is loaded; it stays locked if others have access.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

That is NOT true in many cases.

Are you actually renting a house from them, or living with them and paying rent? There is a big difference there, if it's also their primary home, then maybe they do have to put it on their insurance, IDK.

I do know this though, I've never done anything but rent, have never owned my own home. I have never been asked, nor would I ever volunteer the information, nor would I give the information if I were asked, if I have a gun.

9. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

People will always have problems with you having firearms (not weapons Tack;) ) sometimes its people close to us. You can try to take them to the range with you or take a firearms safety class with them so they can see the firearm doesn't just go off because you look at it, or ignore their opinion move on with you day as usual and realize as long as nightline 20/20 sixty minutes and any other histeria causing show is on the air people are going to see you as a bad person because you have a firearm. So is the day in which we live. Too much fear of "what if" not enough "oh well"

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would say if your not teaching your child about firearms and firearms safety as soon as they can walk talk and are well past the "this is mine" stage your being a bad parent.

i also think that unless your parents are paying for your home or apartment its none of their business.

children who understand firearms and are taught safety are more likely to go through life as a well adjusted individual. sheltering a child from "the dangers of the world" leaves them ill prepaired

anyway just my opinion take it for what its worth

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I doubt it, it would fall on your rental insurance, AFAIK. Your possession, your problem.
    I assume that there is a standard rental agreement/lease?
    If this is one of those "informal" setups where you just pay them and that's it. Well, then I believe that your in a very grey area. Talk to an insurance agent and get the real story for your jurisdiction. As long as everything you do in that house is legal, they can't really whine unless it's addressed/prohibited in the lease. As far as I know, but then I'm no expert. When in doubt, seek local expert advice.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I own rental property , I do not want to know if they have gun or not , #1 its not my business nor is it my responsibility to insure their guns . thats what they have renters insurance for . #2 you have a safe and keep it unloaded at all times when in the house , there shouldnt be a problem with this anyway . Sounds as through you have some liberal type parents maybe . JK really .
    I do understand they want to help keep your child safe and they have concerns . hope it all works out

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

That's BS. Been a home owner for 15 years and never had an agent ask if there were guns in the house. Many companies will offer a rider for additional gun coverage because most basic policies only cover 4k in gun loss but having them does not effect your coverage or premiums unless you elect to cover them for more than the basic policy limits.

Tack

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, I can insure my guns by themselves, but they fall into my renter's policy too. My insurance company recommends that you get a policy for items valued over $5K, otherwise, just make sure the renter's has the value covered.

My guns, the whole collection totalling a whopping !THREE! :( are maybe right at $1K.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

If your set up is informal as in no written agreement your position is even stronger. Agreements are meant to protect the property owner from dead beat tenants because renters rights laws are go overboard on protecting the renter.

First I'd call bs on their insurance claim and inform them that you'll be deducting $20 per month from your rent payment every time the bring up your gun. What are they going to do, throw their grandchild out in the street? Doubt it.

Most gun haters are blind to logic but everyone, even looney Libs, understand the value of a dollar.

I understand it's family but now must choose between pulling thier heads out off their rear ends or bow down and stuff your head...well, you know where.

Tack

16. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

If you are living in your folk's home, honor your folks by obeying their rules. If that means no guns, then no guns. When you are able to move out, then you can set the rules for your home.

If you are already out on your own and supporting your family, then man up and set the rules for your home. In your home, you can listen to your folk's opinion, but its up to you how you act: if you want guns then you can have guns, etc.

It is good to hear you have a gun safe and use it. That is essential with kids around. In a few years, you'll be looking at a BB gun to start teaching your son, then a few years later a 22 and so on. Get him you into a Hunters Safety class, and take it together, as soon as the instructor allows, usually 11 or 12, but some will allow younger kids in if they are well behaved.

Edit...

OK, I see you rent a house from your folks. If you pay full retail rent, then it's your house and you set the rules, so man up and set the rules. If you pay reduced rent, they you are dependent and IMHO, you need to follow your folks rules.

I have never heard of firearms restrictions in rental homes, except government housing.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Are you saying you live in your parent's home? Not that I'm saying they're right but if so - their house, their rules. You have to abide by their rules until you have your own place.

18. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

I live in a Lil house in the back, they live in the big house that I use to live in, but I do pay rent and I have pay all the utilities, and I fix the place up, we have not writing agreement on anything.

19. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I don't envy you and the decision you'll ultimately have to make. I guess your decision will have to go by your principles and whether they are stronger than your feelings of duty to your parents.

I am a renter in Pittsburgh (but hoping to sell VERY soon, they are on the market). The insurance I hold on the property covers the building, land and liability for the same. It usually doesn't cover the contents which belong to the renters, other than your appliances if you provide them. This is pretty standard stuff. What specific type of insurance they have on the additional property will have to be told to you by them. If it is regular homeowners, then there is usually some coverage to contents including very limited coverage on firearms. You'll have to look into this. If you are an NRA member, they include a limited dollar value Armscare policy to cover your guns. I caution you on this. There is a $100 deductable and it pays the actual cash value of the gun involved up to the dollar limit of the policy. So, if there is a loss and you paid $400 for the gun involved and the "book" says it is worth $200, you'll only collect $100. I recently found this out the hard way. You can take out a ryder to increase the coverage and cover you for replacement cost. I'm going to check this out soon.

Good luck on your quandry.

20. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If they have 'Home Owners' insurance, most policies automatically cover firearms up to $2500. However, I do not know about rules in the case of rental property. I do know that the last time we rented (1988-1990) the landlord never brought up the subject of firearms. We paid a deposit to cover possible damage to the house because we had a pet. That was refunded when we left.

I agree with the others about the need for teaching firearm safety to your children. Not only is this good from the standpoint of their education, but it removes the 'mystery' about firearms. Kids have a natural curiosity about things & that curiosity can be a dangerous thing when it comes to firearms.