Pararescue

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ploofy, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Story time. So, an Air Force recruiter called me the other day. I don't know how he got my cell phone since it changed between when I took the ASVAB and now, but he did. We talked, and he told me that I could do anything in the DoD that I want, which I've been told by the Navy and the Army, but I've never really committed beyond thinking it'd be fun. He told me that if I met the physical requirements for Pararescue, it'd be guaranteed that I'd go to training straight from basic. We talked about what it'd take, and I know that I can pass all of them except maybe the swim, but I can certainly practice for that. So, I've decided to ask you, anonymous strangers of the internet, do you think I should go for it? It'd be nice to know things like where I'd live, how long I'd be deployed, and what the death rate is. The recruiter is calling back tomorrow with more info, but I know many of you have relevant experience and it'd be nice to hear what you have to say.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

That right htere says it all ..... do not join the Military! Go get a job at some bank or law firm :cool:

3. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I'm going to die someday. I've spent nights thinking about it. I think I'd prefer if it were to come quick as I was doing something good than let my life get to a point where I'm waiting to die. This being said, I don't want to throw my life away.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

One of the most physically and mentally challenging jobs there is. It is not just passing the selection tests- it is passing the course, and THEN doing the things you would need to do to stay current in your field. For instance- you are rescuing a pilot that has gone down in a Harrier. Aircraft is damaged. Pilot semi conscious. OK then.......

WHERE is the emergency release for the canopy? Which switches put the on board ordnance on safe? Where is the master electrical cutoff? Where are the safety pins for the ejection seat, and where do they go? Does the Harrier HAVE an ejection seat?

BTW, you have not even gotten to the pilot yet!

Deployment? Anywhere. Living conditions? Anywhere from Hollywood style to sleeping in a tent. Or in the shade of an airplane.

Death rate? One per person. Had a good friend, flew OV-1 Mohawks. 2 tours in Vietnam. Died when a drunk driver hit him while crossing a street. You want a guarantee- buy a toaster. It IS a hazardous job, as is anything involving flight, jumping, or using explosives. That's why you get paid the big bucks- Flight pay. (Sorry, sarcasm may have missed- you do draw flight pay for periods when flying as a crew member- it is not all THAT much.)

HOWEVER- some years ago, I undertook a qualification course with the US Army for a very demanding position. The head NCO filled us in at the very start. "Good news, and bad news. Good news- make it through this program, you have nothing to prove to anyone for the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first."

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

The good Lord has appointed all our days, as Christian we don't worry about when we will die. My nephew has been a Marine for almost a year and really likes it!
    Stonewall Jackson rode on the front lines of battle encouraging his men to fight and stand their ground because of his strong belief in God.

6. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

go for it! armed forces is always worth it.

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

You don't want to throw your life away? I'm just a civilian, but being in pararescue and saving others is hardly throwing your life away.

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

The Air Force is great!!!! The AF sends its officers to fight. Unlisted stay in safe zones. Go for it.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Towboater- I have heard that myself a lot of times- but you might ask the Sgt that was the tailgunner on the B52s, and the gun crews on the AC-130s how they feel about that!

10. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Also, there are no officers in Pararescue. It's an enlisted only position due to the danger.

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

If I could go back and do it over I would go into the military. On the other hand I don't believe in the last couple wars...

12. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Their motto is (we die so others my live.) it is a great honor to but your life on the line for someone else who you have never met. Don't let any POS tell you you shouldn't join the military.

I know we are a voluntary force but I feel that every man should do at least 3 yr. in the military before they either go to collage or just get a job this is just my opinion.

13. primer1

We are a free society. Forcing military service will do a lot of wimps some good, but also create a lot of recruits that don't wanna do their job. My two cents...

14. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Go talk to the Marine Corps recruiter son, if you wanna be the best :D Had to throw my .02 in there. I'm a retired Marine got hurt and got medically retired after 13 years in. Anyways, if you feel that PJ's (that's what they call them guys) is what you want to do and what is going to make you happy then go for it. As far as life and death as many others mentioned it is a dangerous job, I've also seen guys come back after 5 tours in a combat zone and wrap themselves around a light pole.

15. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You have to be one tough SOB just to pass the entry requirements for PJ's. When I was in basic all the big tough athletic guys went to try out and all of them came back failed.

16. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

You are right about that there are allot of people now that don't want to do their jobs as a civilian to.

17. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

That's because the big tough guys think they can bully and push there weight around and that's why they fail. It's more mental then brute force.

18. primer1

Ain't that the truth!

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

When I went through basic, they came around and asked "Who wants to try to be Para-rescue?" Not knowing what they were talking about, I eventually found out that it required a lot of running and swimming. Neither of which I considered "fun." Don't get me wrong, I wasn't against running & swimming in principle, just not as a source of entertainment. Marathons & 10K runs, Triathlons? If that's your thing, great. I'm more indoorsy. I loaded Bombs & Missiles for a living.
    Being a para-rescueman has to be something you want..bad, or you won't succeed at it.
    IIRC most of the Medals of Honor received by USAF members have been awarded to Para-rescue, many posthumously. So it's not something that can be done half-assed. Training for it may not be as bad as that of the SEALs, but you can bet that it will be...rugged.
    Deployment schedule? Much will depend on where your stationed and what they are committed to. That said, it's a small career field that is in constant demand, expect to be deployed a lot.

20. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok I want to put my two cents in here. I am prior Air Force Security Forces, and got to see some of these guys train. Also I had a friend from basic who went to pararescue. This guy was crazy fit and tough! He washed out in two weeks!! The training for pararescue is somthing like 2 or 2 and a half years!

They will train you to save lives and take them. They will make you the best you can be or break you. The wash out rate is 98%. I think that pararescue men are the most effecient and most highly trained men in the military, but they get little to no recognetion. I am not taking anything away from a navy seal or a green beret or force recon. But a pararescue man is a different animal.

A PJ will jump into combat via plane/helicptor, swim or run through hostile fire to save another persons life. All the time he is killing everything in his way to save that life. When he gets to the injured he then becomes a medic! After performing his medic duties, he either calls a med-evac or carries the injured to a safe location to await a evac!

I once got to tango with a PJ during trianing, and got my but kicked, like he was snapping his fingers! It was a fun time, but a reminder that those guys are on a different level than a regular joe humping a 240 Bravo LOL!

The choice is yours. It is your life. I recommend you pray on it and seek GOD'S guidance. Also talk to your family, seek out those who have done the job, ask them advise. The military alone is a big life changing choice. And to be special force's is even bigger.

Please do not get wrapped up in movies or video games like call of duty. These things may desensitize you to what you may really have to do. In real life there is no "re spawn". Also if you ever have to take another life, it will change your life.

This post was not to scare you but to try and shine some light. I wish you the best of luck in your life, and hope you find the path meant for you.

My little brother is right now deciding on going in, my other little brother is a marine in afganistan. I recently got out from fracturing my back while on duty, which ended my career. My whole family has for the most part been in the service. So if you have any questions feel free to message me anytime.

Again good luck

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012