parallax adjustments vs. none?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by magnum05, May 6, 2012.

1. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

im looking to buy the nikon's p-223 3-9x40 or the m-223 3-12x42 bdc for my AR 15.. The m-223 has side parallax adjustment, is it necessary to have this, or i should ask whats the advantages and disadvantages? I pretty much just do target shooting and hunt coyotes

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You do not ever "need" parallax adjustment. You are likely to be more accurate with it though. But each scope is parallax free at a certain set distance, if you shoot at that distance parallax adjustment would do you no good. My guess would be at least 75% of shooters that have parallax adjustment on their scopes never use it. Your scope specs should say the parallax free distance.

3. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

Now its my understanding that the parallax adjustment is the yard adjustment turret 50,100,200 and so forth or am I not understanding it correctly

4. Model70

Model70 New Member

Your parallax is basically you not being on the same focal plane as your target. Most non PA or AO scopes are set to 100 yards. Mostly it doesn't make a lot of difference unless it really up close like 50 yards or a long ways off like 500 yards. I have it on all my scopes, once you get used to it you will like it better. I prefer it on the turret with the other dials, not out on the end of the scope. That way you don't have to get off your gun to adjust it, just open your other eye.

5. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

Ok so with that being said the m223 would probably be better instead of the p223 that doesnt have that?

6. Model70

Model70 New Member

I have no idea what either of those are.

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I wish I had gotten the model scope that allows for parallax adjustment. Mine does not, therefore I need to be careful to put my cheek on the exact same spot on the rifle butt each time. You can work around not having a parallax adjustment, but it is nice to have it.

Ergo it is worth the extra few bucks.

8. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I think the term parallax adjustment is confusing or not correct.

It's really a focus knob and by setting the focus correctly you eliminate parallax error (seeing two images).

Is this correct?

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For all practical purposes, yes.

If you're an expert rifleman, and good at doping wind, mirage, and measuring range with a laser, it can be a very good addition. For the average shooter, it's like a spoiler on a Chevy Volt. Looks "Kewl" but doesn't do much for you.

OTOH, it most certainly won't hurt anything, so if you want it, then get it!:D

10. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

@ model70 Nikon makes m 223 & p223 basically for the ar platform calibrated for .223 bdc

11. Model70

Model70 New Member

Far out man.

12. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Parallax threads can become confusing.

6mmbr.com: Parallax in Rifle Scopes

That is why they provide the parallax adjustment; so when your eye isn't lined up precisely, (causing parallax misalignment,) the shot will not be errant.

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Any scope over 7X should have parallax correction. There is one Hell of alot of misinformation posted here. If you don't understand Parallax and you think it is not needed you need to study it. High end optics come with a correction devise because it is important.:)

14. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

@ the kid..thanks for posting that link it answered my question now I know that Scopes that have side focus/yardage turrets is the adjustment for parallax

15. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

You are welcome!