Paracord projects

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 2hot2handle, Sep 21, 2011.

1. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Not sure where to put this. It could go in survival, club house, DIY projects but I just picked this so forgive me if it's not properly placed.

Any way I just wanted to post a few things that I've put together from paracord , mostly just copying from the internet but innovating on a few things. Any way I'm just gonna post some pics.

I started off on the bracelet then went to the lanyard and just tonight finished the sling. Let me know your thoughts and I'll try my best to answer any questions you have. I hope you can glean something useful from this thread. :)

Each side of the sling has a different pattern, that's just the nature of the type of weave I chose. The sling is approximately 42 inches long. I didn't know how long to make it so I just went with what felt comfortable while trying it out on my 10;22

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice. Where did you find instructions?

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

the key chain thingy

Attached Files:

4. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

I have only used two types of weaves when making these lil guys. The first is called the cobra weave and is really simple it is the one you see that is the skinny part of the sling and is what I used to make the lanyard. The lanyard looks different because I went over it twice to make it thicker. The second type of weave is called a Solomon weave and is just using six strings instead of the 3 on the cobra weave.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMid1dbf9G0]How to: Cobra Weave Paracord Bracelet - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lZss5Tzp54]How to Tie a Wide Solomon Bar by TIAT - YouTube[/ame]

After learning those two I just went to town and had some fun.

5. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

Those came out real nice. Now I want to make one for my keychain.

OC

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks 2hot. I probably won't attempt it, but it's always nice to know how stuff is done.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Any ideas on how add sum paracord clip loops to an old usmc duty belt? Marlin 22 mag clips to b exact

9. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I've been wanting to make some of these. I've figured out how to make the cobra weave, but I want something a little wider. I was just wondering how wide the "wide soloman" was. Thanks in advanced.

10. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

Also, how did you make the key ring?

11. oneshot

oneshot New Member

watch 001.jpg

Here is a watch band I made and have been using this year.

12. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

I have no idea unless maybe you could show me some pics. Then perhaps I could help you out.

The wide soloman is about 2 inches wide about. Rough estimate there.

The key ring I just googled how to make a paracord lanyard. I'll see if I can find the link. I really do like that lanyard, it's the most useful thing I've made by far.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats the size I roughly need. Can you give me a good link for it and ill figure it out from there. Once I get them done ill try and post pics

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am wondering how easy it would be to unravel the weave so that you could use the paracord in an emergency? At the Maker Fair there were some projects with paracord that were intended to make it so you could have a long length of paracord in a compact package that was easy and quick to deploy. I thought that was a great idea. Of course I failed to get instructions though:(

Your projects look very nice though. Even if they can't be unraveled easily I might still make a few just for fun.

15. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

The link to the wide solomon bar link is posted on the first page of the thread. That is the weave that is roughly 2in wide.

In case of an emergency they could be unraveled....pretty painfully slow. I don't get me wrong. You can take them apart relatively fast. However if my friend was floating down the river, I wouldn't recommend trying to take apart my sling to throw them a rope to save them. I'm sure there are some weaves that are quick to break down, I'll have to do some research on that for future projects. These weaves are more for the "Oh man, I'm at camp and forgot to bring such and such" or you're caught without a tent and you need some string to hold up some cover while a storm blows by and the like. There you have some time to get things done. Life and death situation= find another weave.

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Those are cool. They look great.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Looks good. I've made a few bracelets and lanyards using the cobra and king cobra knots, but I need to try the solomon! :cool:

18. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I have a question. Ok I understand hot to make the bracelet and I understand the braid for the sling.... My question is did you do the sling like the bracelet? The whole length of the sling then braid it back?

19. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

What I did was begin the sling with the Solomon weave, once I reached the length that I wanted/guessed. After that length was finished I tied off two of the lost stings that were on one side of the Solomon and finished the rest of the sling with the bracelet weave. Maybe I'll make a video of how I did it so people can watch, if I get enough interest I will make one.

20. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

That sounds like it would work. I would appreciate the video, especially the transition between the two different weaves.