Para USA

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by cddbrowns, Feb 9, 2011.

1. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

What are the general thoughts on Para? Again, I am doing much research on the Colt vs Kimber thing, but have noticed a lot of Para 1911's that have really caught my eye lately. They seem in the exact same price range and I am a big believe in "you get what you pay for" with this stuff.

Thing scaring me about the Kimber is the second series doesnt sound as "solid" as the first series......

2. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

I have a P14-45 and a P-10 NightHawg. Both function perfectly.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

well colt > springfield armory > para >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>kimber

i would buy a glock *ick* before a kimber

para ordnance isnt bad. they started out superb kinda went downhill in the late 90's and current qc is pretty good way above kimber.

4. 38SuperFan

38SuperFan New Member

Para is the only 1911 manufacturer using cast slides, pretty ridiculous IMO. I'd take a Kimber over a Para any day, I'm not buying their QC as better than Kimber either.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have Para C7/45. well made, nice carry piece.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I gotta para Para's in .40 and .45 in SS, good solid shooters, I got no complaints....so far. :cool:

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Jack, you getting old? You had Para's until the ill fated boat trip...

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ok, here's the brands of 1911s I've owned: Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Para, Rock Island, S&W, Springfield, Taurus and "builds" on Foster & Essex frames. I've owned multiples of all of these except Dan Wesson. For value, flexibility, forged frames & slides, and no firing pin blocks - I settled on Springer and have 4 of them. All of them have good points and bad points but for sheer value and performance - I've made my decision. This is my "flagship" a Loaded Longslide Target, bought new for $995 which I was very happy to pay...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

As long as they're using quality metal, it doesn't matter how the frames or slides are formed. Cast, investment cast, forged, machined from solid billet, using the right material for the job is more important.

10. jca1

jca1 New Member

I've owned Colt's, A Taurus, and a Wilson Combat but never a Kimber or Para. At his time I am 1911less, but plan to add a Springfield soon.

The general consensus I've picked up over the years is that Springfield is the best bang for the buck. Kimber and Para are so-so, Colt is classic but suffering from QC issues for many years now and no longer the best choice. I love Colt myself, above is just my take on what I've heard over the years.

My Cousin owns a Kimber. The barrel is like a file on the outside and has already chewed into one bushing, they told him that's how they make them and sent him a new bushing for when the one he has is worn out. Honest.

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

After owning a Springfield, 2 Kimber's and a Para....

There's nothing wrong with Kimber or Para. Functional, accurate, good machine fit... I could go on forever.

I had issues with my Springer, as have numerous men that I shoot IDPA with. They needed dinked with way too much to make them run reliably. I've never had to tweak a Kimber or my Para for it to run in competition.

12. 38SuperFan

38SuperFan New Member

Couple of broken Para slides - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Check out the pics in the link. I've never seen broken 1911 slides from anyone other than Para. ;)

13. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Thats it, Im going with Dan Wesson!!!!!! LOL!

14. russ

russ New Member

I own a Para GI Expert, their entry level "mil-spec" 1911. I'm totally happy with it. It has been flawless for me.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have not heard a thing bad about Para but........I fine it suspicious that the majority of used (Read: trade-in) pistols at Bud's are Para. I wonder why?

Bud's Used Handguns

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'd rethink that statement. It may save you a few fingers or an eye or two. [​IMG]

17. proscene

proscene New Member

Amen!

DITTO- I've had both Now I just have the Kimber! :) Para is a decent weapon until you have to send it back to factory for repair. :eek:

18. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Maybe I should clarify things a bit. If the Para's are cracking/breaking slides by the thousands, it's not because they're cast, it's because they're cast with the wrong steel. It doesn't matter what process, if the wrong material is used there will be problems.

I wasn't trying to defend Para with my comment, just defending the casting process and those who cast slides, frames, or any other part, without a problem. However, I can see how it appeared as I was defending Para.

19. Gloves

Gloves New Member

So, I can get a new bushing from them? That's good to know. I have noticed
    the machined barrels are rigid and operating the slide against the barrel sounds
    a bit like a fat guy running in corduroys.

I have the Custom II and 2 other things I noticed, finish is weak and easily
    scratch/worn and I've heard the customer service is the worst, never tried
    calling.

I'm completely happy with the weapon as I'm able to shoot the symbols out of
    playing cards at 15 yards fresh out of the box. (although my sight was off by
    3" to the left!!! - easily fixed)

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Any mechanical contraption that has metal to metal contact will require "wearing in" as the surfaces mate together. Keep it clean & lubed and get a couple hundred through it and it will smooth out.

Bushings (and most other small parts) are cheap and easily available from Brownells so you certainly don't have to rely on the manufacturer. I, like most 1911 guys, keep a box of spare parts on hand to avoid the gun being out of service for any amount of time. Be sure to understand that most 1911 parts are not strictly "drop in" and will require some fitting for best performance.

Every one has an opinion of who makes the "best" 1911 but most of the name brand production guns are very similar. I like Springers, some like Kimbers, some like Paras - it's just personal preference and your budget that drives the decision...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011