Para ordnance any good?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bostonscottkelly, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Never see any feedback on PO....anybody know if they make a good weapon?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is funny, I started a thread with an almost identical first post. Search "Para 1911's" I didn't get a lot of responses, but I did get some quality ones.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are pretty good weapons. The one i worked on last week was anyways....course i had to fire it some;) all cuz i put new grips on it lol

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion: early 90's they were pretty good. right now they are right alongside taurus, hit or miss.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No experience with them since they moved from Canada to NC. I have a Canadian LDA C 7/45. Love it. Well made compact 7 shot double action 45.

6. fmj

fmj New Member

I shot a Para 1911 once and liked it well enough. I liked that its a SA DA gun. If i buy another 1911, the Para Ordinance is top of the list.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I haven't owned one, but here's what I've heard from those that do-

Many Paras aren't "true" 1911s in a purist sense. That can boil down to double stack mags, double-actions, and parts that aren't always interchangeable with other 1911s. Some are true 1911s through and through, however. They're good shooters and offer a lot of gun for the money. Should you ever have a warranty issue, I've generally heard poor reviews of their customer service. This is all second hand information, so put as much stock into it as you like.

I think their GI Expert model offers an attractive entry level true 1911 at a competitive price, but the SA Milspec is probably the safer bet.

8. fmj

fmj New Member

This is true, this is the type i shot. I liked the idea DA/SA and double stack mag. Two features that IMHO improve upon the 1911 platform.

9. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I've had a 14-45LDA for a number of year. I like mine. I got mine when they first came out with the LDA. I am not at all partial to DA only guns, but these are very user friendly. Mine had been nothing but reliable.

I consider it my "the home is being over-run by bad guys handgun". At least until I can get to the shotgun. 15 rounds of 45.

10. Westy

Westy New Member

I have a P13 and a P14, and they are both great guns. They're older ones made in Canada. I think I posted a picture of them on a similar post...... ;)

11. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

Kind of strange that I haven't read any threads about PO's, and now there are two on the same page. As I said in that thread I have had the P14 for about 15 years. It is my favorite handgun. I love it. It has been completely reliable, is accurate, and fits my hand well. No idea how the later models stand up, but I'm a big fan of mine.