Para ordinace...

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by VegasGunGirl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

I was looking yesterday at the para 1911. This gun is double stacked and wicked sweet. I love the feel and the look. Anyone own it and would recommend it?

2. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

It's the big hawg. 45 acp

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I have spent some time in the realm of competition shooting and law enforcement and I don't know a single shooter that would recommend a Para 1911. Sorry.

4. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Para's are great pistols. I own two.

[​IMG]

Here's one that I actually purchased for my son, to commemorate his Afghanistan deployment.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If its double stacked it's not a real 1911.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Owned a couple of the double stacked Paras & the nicest thing i can say is that i'm not a fan -

7. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

You are correct it deviates from JMB's design, like rails and external extractors.

8. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

I own a Para GI Expert. Stainless steel model. I've put hundreds of rounds down range with it, not one hiccup.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Correct. Neither of which are on any of my guns. I also believe that single-stack Paras have frames that are not to spec with the 1911 also. You can't put a set of standard 1911 grips of them, at least the ones I've seen. To me Paras are like the Ballester-Molina of the present.

10. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

WRONG: standard grips fit precisely. I put a very nice set of rosewood grips made by RAASCO on mine.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Actually, no I'm not wrong. There are certain Para models that have slightly different bushing spacing in the frame. Maybe not the one you have, but yes there are some. I have just a little bit of experience with what I'm talking about.

12. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

Well, that's fine, but I said in my earlier post, I have a Para GI Expert. It IS single stack, and yes, you're correct, perhaps other models of have slightly different bushing spacing, but I was referring to your reference concerning standard size grips! :)

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Haven't seen a GI Expert, so the ones I have seen would not accept standard grips. I didn't mean all models were like this, just the ones I've seen. Apparently some will while others definitely won't. I don't keep up with Para to know the difference, just that there is one.

14. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

Well, Olympus, I haven't seen the Paras you're talking about, so I guess we're both even! You have a good weekend now! :)

15. VegasGunGirl

VegasGunGirl New Member

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

No way in heck I'd pay $950 for a Para. Especially one that's a double stack. If you're a lady, you might find the slimmer frame profile of a true single stack 1911 to be easier to grip and shoot as opposed to the wide and bulky frame of a hi-capacity 1911. I don't have big hands and I don't care for the way they feel.

In my opinion, if you've got a budget of around $1000 or so you can do a lot better than a double stack Para.

17. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

VGG, The double stack Para is an excellent pistol IMO. Para also has very good customer service. The one I purchased for my son is rock solid. He has put over 500 rounds through with no issues.

18. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

For $950 I would not buy the Para. I have shot the Para 1911, both GI & Big Hawg. No problems but they were real loose.

For that kind of money, get a Colt or a Springer or an STI. You'll have a better quality pistol with better resale value if it ever comes to that. JMHO

19. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

And here is another vote against the Para. I have shot a couple and really don't have anything against them but for that kind of cash, you could do much better. If you really want the double stack, go for it. You might want to get your hands on it first before you buy though. The double stacks feel mighty strange if you are used to a 1911.

20. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I don't know why there is so much trash talk about the Para's. When they first came out with the double stacks, I built quite a few race guns for my competition customers and myself. Everyone that I have shot right out of the box have been very reliable. My main carry gun to this day is an early P14 (4 digit serial #). It has been 100 percent reliable through the years. When I go out for one of my serious practice sessions, I usually cap off around 500 rounds, all without a hick-up. I have put thousands upon thousands of rounds through Para Ordnance pistols through the years. I would stake my life on mine, as would anyone else I know that carries one and I know quite a few. I have been smithing the Para's since day one and (OLYMPUS) thats where I get my experience from. Have a good day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim...........

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012