Para Ord. or...?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by drvsafe, Sep 26, 2012.

1. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have been looking for a 1911 for a few months, my issues are: price and comfort and I prefer US made. $700 is about the top of my budget and I am a lefty, so I want at the very least an ambidextrous thumb safety. Anything of quality that has one is usually well above my budget.

I am looking at a Para 1911, it looks like an SSP but has a few upgrades over it. Seems like it hits all of my bullet points, but I am not familiar enough with the brand. I have seen a few You Tube reviews, all on the GI Expert (which I believe the SSP is superior to), most of them good, some mixed; the negative ones are complaining about the reassembly after stripping it. It seems that there is an issue getting the slide back on completely. And along with that one You Tube poster stated it took 6 WEEKS to get his pistol back from Para after replacing a $5 part and blamed him for the defect, when in fact the guy NEVER even fired the pistol. Also, I hear of some feeding issues, but I have to chalk that up to cheap magazines that they ship it with and cheap ammo.

I need some input, as I am ready for this purchase, and I put value to FTF member's opinions.

Nate

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just a question.
    Have you wondered why Para-Ordnance is not talked about much here?

There must be a reason. (And, yes, I have one)

3. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Para usa. makes some nice stuff. I plan on buying one soon. A gi expert to be exact.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It wouldn't be my first choice. Your budget is a little low for an American-made 1911. Might find a Ruger for that price, maybe. But at $700 you're right at the upper end of the "budget" class 1911s, most of which are made in the Philippines.

5. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Para is made in usa.

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I just assume that info IS on here but I'm not finding it. Is there a reason why?

My initial posture was to just hold off until I can afford what I want as I don't want a Filipino 1911. Not that there is anything wrong with them, I know for a fact there are quite. Few good ones, I just want something American made. Then my FFL suggested Para and I started looking into them. So I've got to get some feedback from the FTF.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There seems to be some sort of stigma against Para's.
    They have had a bad reputation in the past, but things seem to be improving.
    I do not know why they are not more popular with the members of this forum, but, like a car,
    if there are not too many on the road, then maybe the word got out about them and I was not in the know.

There must be a reason that RIA, Springfield, Colt, Dan Wesson, and even STI are mentioned more than Para USA.

8. semipacifist

semipacifist New Member

+1

I bought the GI Expert last year. I went through headaches despite never using anything other than ball ammo. It's been mostly good since I got it back from warranty service.

I like Para's aesthetically but dislike the company. Many have been blue in the face with theirs. One fellow spent over $1000 on a double-stack and they had to replace the frame. This was recently.

When I wrote something critical about Para's elsewhere, a poster sent me a nasty PM.

To Para's credit, they seem to be making bonafide efforts to boost quality and c.s. When I sent mine back, customers were responsible for shipping as per their policy but they picked up the shipping charges on mine anyway.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Their reputation has some blemishes and its too easy to recommend many other makers who don't have that problem.

In my mind, there are just too many other choices to go with Para. And good luck trying to recoup your money if you need to resell. In my area, you practically can't give a Para away.

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My problem is that I want an ambi thumb safety and not too many models have them. I can find an RIA with it but I really prefer an American 1911 and I'd like to stay at around $700 and change max.

Can I buy a kimber custom II and add an ambi safety to it later?

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Your restrictions are American-made and under $700. Thats hard enough, but then add an ambi and you're adding more restrictions. An aftermarket ambi can be added to any 1911.

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

See? That's what I was hoping to hear. That being the case, it makes it more simple to shop...

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Just my take---

I have never had any problems with Para's and have put hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Have built many comp guns for competition based on the Para double stacks and many carry guns as well. I have a P 14 as my main carry gun and have never had any problems with it. It is an early model (within the first 1500 made) and it has had more than 50,000 rounds through it also. It is well maintained, tight and will still shoot under 2" at 25 yards.

Jim........

Attached Files:

14. Mark58103

Mark58103 New Member

I guess I'll add my 2 cents...

I bought a Para GI Expert Stainless last winter. I probably have 700 rounds through it. Remington, Winchester White Box, all FMJ 230 grain, and two boxes of Hornady Critical Defense. Not one FTF, FTE, zero issues.

Kept it clean and lubed...no problems.

15. kwwms

kwwms New Member

I have a GI Expert also....it was shooting low and to the left. Para told me to send it back...come to find out the slide was out of specs and they put a new one on it. Shoots straight now, other than having to send it back I am well pleased with it.

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I saw a used LDA at a range near me for about $750. What's the opinion on that pistol?

17. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I ended up buying a Sig 1911 TacPac for all interested.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Damn Jim that's one salty holster. I bet it has some real stories to tell! [​IMG]

19. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

If you can find one, the Ruger SR1911 will come in at $750ish. We have one in our shop priced at $739. Fit, finish and trigger are all better than the price tag would indicate. JMHO

Never mind, I missed the post saying you bought the Sig TacPac......that should have been well over $750???

20. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

There was a used Ruger at my LGS and the guys there put it down hard. they were strong on springfield mil spec or RO. But they didn't have either of them in stock. They had a TRP, which I wasn't spending, but I loved the front strap checkering on it and that's what sold me on the xo. And the truth the store I bought from offered me the TacPac for $10 more than the xo. I couldn't say no. I paid $750 plus shipping. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012