Para 1911's

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by trip286, Oct 7, 2011.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

opinions? this is for pure curiosity. I don't hear much about them.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, my Para is not quite a 1911- it is a compact LDA- a C7-45. I really like it. Not much bigger than a S&W Mdl 36, shoots very well.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dont care for Para's
    Had a couple - P13 & anouther I forget-
    Now I had a P-18 LOWER with a Caspian upper that was a great shooter :rolleyes:

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Some Paras aren't 100% interchangeable with 1911s. They have their own goofy specs. I wouldn't own one when there are so many other "true" 1911s on the market in the same price range.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i had a para p10 in the early 90s was a good gun. i regret selling it. but the newer ones dont seem to be the same quality in terms of the steel in the slides. back then they were closer to what springfield and colt produced. now they are more like a kimber or ria.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I was interested in Para back in the 90's but then Canada passed there gun owner registration scheme I decided to boycott anything Canadian.

TACK

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wow, not a lot of love for Para. Sorry to hear all that. I had no intents to get one mind you, I was just curious because like I said, I don't hear much about them.

I held one of their Hi-cap Hawgs at a gun show once, man I thought the M9 had a fat grip, it would take a Sasquatch to wrap some mitts around that thing.

8. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo New Member

Para 1911

Have owned a P13 for almost 2(two) decades. Commander size pistol with a 13 round capacity.

Nary a problem in that time. Love it.

One of the few I have that is untouchable as far as sales or trade.;)

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Its just another 1911.

Its like asking if early third gen glocks are better than late third gen.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you want a doublestack 45 that even smaller hands can work get a xdm real thought was put into that gun. 1911s just dont do well with double column mags.

11. Drriley

Drriley New Member

Don't know about the newer stuff (arter the move to NC), but I've had a P13-45 for several years now. It's been a great gun with no problems. I like the double stack mag and the size of the grip. At the time I got mine they offered the Warthog (p10), P12,
    p13, and P14 in 45ACP. I just picked the one that fit my hand best and haven't regretted it yet.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't have one but like Para. The doublestack grip isn't as big as I thought it was and I do have a cheap 10rd Llama 45 that's a Para knockoff that works well. I could see buying a Para.

13. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

I own the double stack 16-40 LDA. Have had nothing but problems, terrible fit and finish. I have done a ton of work on it, and it shoots "OK" now but the trigger still fails to reset occasionally for no reason. Probably the worst gun purchase I ever made, and I own a lot of guns.

14. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Even the recoil spring guide rod on mine is a shade larger diameter than 1911, have no idea why but they will not interchange.

15. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

It's just another mass made 1911, which means a lot of them are very good and some are junk project time waster guns you wish you never bought.

16. Westy

Westy New Member

I have two of them- A P13 and a P14 and they're great shooters. Never had a problem with either one. The P13 stainless is one of my favorites, next to my Springfield 1911.

Attached Files:

17. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have a Warthog, WHX1045R, with Regal finish. I carry it a lot, even though I have a lot of handguns. I live in South Carolina, and it is warm to hot most of the year, so I need to carry something easy to conceal. It is 6.5" OAL, and 4.5" or 4.75" in height, depending on whether I'm using the flat-bottom magazine or the magazine with the extension that provides a place for the little finger. It shoots pretty straight, is easy to conceal under a loose shirt, or in a jacket pocket, and has been 100% dependable for me. I feed it Speer Gold Dot 230's (the variety made specifically for short barrels) without any trouble, and recoil is no problem, but the bottom rear corner of the grip kinda bites my hand, due to it being shorter than my hand is wide. The only problem I have with it is that it has a very heavy recoil spring, and at cleaning time I have to do some serious grunting and groaning to strip it down and reassemble it. Overall, a great CCW piece, and I am happy to have it.

18. Twoglocks

Twoglocks New Member

I have Para 7.45 PXT. I bought it twice so must be good. I sold it and get the same pistol back almost two years later. The trigger is perfect and feeds everything with factory mags

19. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I've never owned one, but the first 1911 I ever shot was a rental Para at the range. I tried it out because one of the women that works there said it was a fun gun to shoot. The first five shots all hit the center of the target and I was surprised because it was also my first time shooting a .45. After shooting that Para, I decided my first gun was going to be a .45 1911. I ended up getting an SA Loaded Champion, but the Para was fun to shoot, too.

20. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

Para's black finish starts coming off as soon as it sees a holster. I am not sure what they use but it sucks. At least it used to. I haven't seen the new guns that are made here now. Maybe they have a better finish.