paper target stand

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by dwmiller, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Thinking about a portable target stand for use at a friends place. The idea I had is a PVC frame with a couple big truck mud flaps hanging to staple paper targets to. I like the idea of mud flaps since I can pick these up for free. Needs to be movable so we can drag it out of the way when not in use. Anyone built something like this? Or can give me some advice.

PS primarily for 22 & 223 at 100 yards. Maybe a little pistol or larger rifle occasionally.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Just rip some 2 x 4 up into stakes, drive them in the ground. Staple some cardboard on the stakes to hold your targets. You are going to hit a target stand, it's just a matter of time. I just staple targets on small trees in areas where I want to clear out the brush. By the time I get around to clearing the brush I have killed most of the brush by shooting it.

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My CCP instructor had some built out of 1/2 PVC that worked very well. There not glued so he could break them down and throw them in the back of his Yukon. Backing was some cheap mats he picks up at the dollar store.

4. davem

davem New Member

I use 1"x 2" wood for my pistol & rifle target holders. I have 1/4" underlayment fastend to them to staple targets to. When it gets to shot up i just fasten a new piece on.

5. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

John, his main requirement "Needs to be movable so we can drag it out of the way when not in use."

6. davem

davem New Member

image-1056408143.jpg i also have a metal base but its outside right now. Targets slip into base. And easily portable.

7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Political signs with the wire frame make great target stands and they are free!
    I work for a municipality and there is an ordnance against political or advertisement on Town property.
    Check with your local code enforcement officer he may have picked up a truckload he would be willing to give you.

8. scottmac

scottmac New Member

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Those things work great.:)

OP I've made them form old 2x4 to staple cardboard to. What your talking about should work fine. I am n o ta fan of the PVC frame as much as they don't seem to take the abuse over time that a wood frame can. I like the mud flap idea but it will be kind of hard to staple to if you are letting it swing.
    I like having feet on them rather than staking them in the ground mostly because we moved them a lot and if you have ever been in my part of the world the soil can be pretty rocky. So it just made more sense to make them with two feet about 2' and allow them to be moved much easier.

For the longest time we used to wood framed ones for times drills. WE had three at differing distances to be able to change targets in a hurry and work on accuracy.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I build bases out of 2x4s. I make them so that 1x2s will slide in and out. I just staple cardboard to them.

Attached Files:

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I built 5 of these . They stack and 2 screws hold them all together stacked up . I put the on their side stacked in the bed of my truck and can haul all 5 at once all 2x4 construction . Staple cardboard to the frames and staple targrts to the cardboard
    [​IMG]

12. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

My front yard range.
    Notice ,I use 1" steel pipe, and rebar as stand materials.
    I tried everything before.
    Wood and pvc WILL NOT hold up to very much shooting.
    Ask me how I know this.;):)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheap rebar , drill holes in bottom of 2x6 ,stick it in the ground, pull it up when done.
    use steel pipe ,make a T. Hang whatevr you want. (With chain)

Jim

13. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

:confused::confused: Richochet from "Steel Pipe, " and "Reebar"

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Something fun to do is use helium filled balloons to test your skills at 'moving' targets. Any kind of a subtle breeze with a 6 foot string and tied to a bush, etc makes for some fun long distance shooting.

15. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

Been using it for a long time, never had any richochet problems,
    Last year over 50,000 rounds shot , this year close to the same.

It is round , it must deflect, never have had any bullets or schrapnel come back.

Jim

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It seems in our modern world some people have to warn us about our lives. Life is like a ricochet it never ends up where we want it to.:D

Nice range I bet you have lots of fun there.:)

17. dwmiller

Got to admit I like the idea of shooting at political signs... :D

Think ill probably go with the PVC idea, if I fill the bases with some sand for weight they ought to stand pretty good. I'm thinking about a frame big enough to hang a single mudflap on, let the bottom swing free. That should keep it from getting knocked over when shot. Keep the bottom of the flap a couple inches off the ground so it swings free.

I may end up making two or three. I am a trucker so the mudflaps are free for picking up, only reason I'm using them. Good idea not to glue, pieces, easily replaced when hit. Think ill use about 1" PVC to make them stiffer to carry the big flaps. I think just ziptie the flap to the cross pieces. These things hold staples well so it'll be easy to put up paper targets. Now a trip to Lowes for some angles and T's and a couple lengths of pipe.

If the breakage gets to be too much of a problem I'll take the advice on the rebar. I can probably weld up a couple frames in an hour or so. Wouldn't be too hard to make them breakdown for the back of the truck...

Thanks all for your input and help. I appreciate it!

18. dwmiller

Nice idea! Ill get a few this weekend. The kids are coming over to shoot and novel targets help keep their attention. Wonder if I can rig them so pull a string and they pop up from behind another target! Kind of like a trap course for 22 rifle. Shooting at Barney and spongbob also has a strange attraction! ;)

By the way two thumbs up on the water filled punkins! They were a big hit! The next ones will get filled with red jello and allowed to set up. Zombie punkin gore anyone?!?

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I use a 1" PVC stand. It breaks down and fits in the Jeep. I carry a couple extra cut lengths and "T"s. You know some bad shot may damage my stand.;):D

Attached Files:

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I built 2 of these. You can sand bag the base or use spikes if it is windy. I use spring clamps to hold the cardboard. The base is rectangular steel tubing welded to form a T and fits a 1x2 perfectly.

Attached Files: