Pant size for IWB

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by aandabooks, Jul 31, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I don't carry yet but will when Illinois gets its crap together. I OWB carry on my land but am interested in IWB for everyday. On average how much larger do you end up buying your pants to accomodate the holster?

2. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

In the waist conceal...

For me, not in the least. I carry a small semi 9mm IWB and only let my belt notch out one extra. Of course... it does depend on what size weapon you decide to conceal.... and I personally wouldn't carry a revolver IWB... The cylinder could present a clearing problem when drawing.

3. DWT

DWT New Member

For me, one size up or I wear pants with the elastic expansion on each side.

4. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Never needed to go up a pants size, just a belt notch or two.

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I normally wear a 38, but with carry I buy a 40. I was told to buy up one size.

6. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

AandA, if you normally wear your pants (not belt) tight, you will need one size (2") bigger to accommodate a full-size IWB holster. If you normally wear pants that are not fitted and have just a little room, you only need to loosen your belt.

Please consider a stiffened gun belt and a professionally fitted holster. This is roughly $100-175 and will mean a WORLD of difference in how comfortable your carry is on an all-day basis. Holster can be Kydex or leather but should be fitted to your gun and have positive retention. You don't want to be in a bathroom stall and watch your gun skitter across the floor and out of the stall. Didn't happen to me, but someone I know experienced this nightmare with a generic nylon holster and a room full of men he had to explain it to.

7. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Same here but I tend to wear my pants a bit on the loose side to begin with. It you typically wear tight fitting pants you may need to go up a size for comfortable IWB carry.

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

Disagree. I've never had that problem when carrying a wheelgun. The only problem with a revolver is the width of the cylinder. Even my 5 shot J frame is thicker than the M&P Shield I usually carry, making the J a little tougher to conceal.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I carried semi-autos iwb and never changed pant size. Lossen or take up a belt notch only using a comp-tac holster and up to a 1911. I only wear pants I can been over in or pick a leg up in. No pretty boy britches.

10. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I don't wear pretty boy britches, but over the last ten years, I have become a fat boy, and find some of my pants fit a bit more snug than when I got tham. I don't buy bigger pants, but some of my pants tell me I should when I carry. BTW, I IWB carry a 1911. Double stack may be a different story.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

jebsca Yea I know all about fat boy pants too. I just buy what fits may waist with a looser cut so no matter at work or dinner or for trail use they get the job done.

12. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

I always wear carpenter jeans and I carry on the outside with my shirt untucked. I can wear and XL shirt but always buy a 2XL. It works out well because I like my stuff a little more baggy and comfy.
    If not in jeans, I have all cargo shorts. I can fit a 1911 in one pocket and (if I wanted) 15 loaded magazines in the other pocket. Obviously, I wouldn't carry that many, but there are a lot of options if you just take a toy gun to the store and try on some cloths.