Panera Bread bans Firearms carrying Citizens

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by tinbucket, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here about the Sonic situation when it happened. But I'm terrible with searches. Might have been buried in another thread like Chipolte or one of the others.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Kennydale

Kennydale Member

I like their food (Neither Hippie, or Liberal and I never INHALED, well I haven't smoked DOPE in over 50 years. In Texas if they don't post the proper sign .... I will still Conceal Carry there. They post the proper sign I and my wallet are gone.

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Follow the link in Post 16 Dallas. It says that the ban on firearms is over OC of long guns, and that they will continue to follow the local and state laws on the carry of handguns. So, just as long as you have a TCL (Still gotta get use to that), you may carry a handgun as long as there is no GFZ\.30-06 sign on their door. that tends to be more up to the individual manager more than corporate with most businesses out there. So it's pretty much carry there as long as the manager doesn't have a sign up.

on the "were they armed?", I'll see if i can dig anything up on it.

Edit. According to at ;east two witnesses quoted by the Washington Post, yes. Posted link failed. here's the story from the baltimore Sun.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/abingdon/bs-md-harford-suspect-ex-wife-20160211-story.html

The story so far is that the shooter's ex wife saw him there before (and that she thinks he shot here 17 years ago, right before he vanished.), went back the day of the shooting, right before it, saw that it was her ex, and called 911. The deputies were dispatched to the scene, when the first one shot sat down at the guy's table, and tried to talk to him. At that point, he was shot. The two he killed didn't shoot him, but other deputies on scene ended him.

4. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Great food but they use zero salt so you really need to dump it on. Also there's two near me, no sign banning guns at those locations.

5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

I fully understand that Mr. Kfox and agree with you, but Mr. Tinbucket posted a thread in reference to Panera Bread being a "GFZ" and such, then edited his post bringing up the point that two cops were shot outside one of their establishments. I have yet to see any such signage or any so-called established "GFZ" pertaining to anyone that is a certified peace officer or in law enforcement. their corporate policy has nothing to do with whether they prohibited guns on their premises of not.

6. kfox75

7. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

enough.......

8. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

9. Dallas53

exactly. the man that was shot and killed had a loaded pistol, and two out-of-state warrants for his arrest, one of them I believe was for assaulting a police officer.

the two officers who shot him were placed on administrative leave per department policy regarding officer involved shootings. hopefully they will be back on duty soon. glad they got the POS scumbag that killed their brother officers.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't worry about it. I go about my daily business armed (CC) and just disregard the signs!! Prejudice is alive and well, and this is living proof of it!!!:( Rosa Parks was right!!!:D

11. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Those cards are a great idea

12. rockratt

rockratt Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I band them a long time ago. I ate there one time and it was over priced and and not that good. Much like Starbucks!!!

13. BCGlocker

BCGlocker New Member

They send me email special all the time. I am going to unsubscribe and never visit them again.

14. kfox75

15. Dallas53

those cards sometimes do work. surprisingly, you would never believe how many people just don't understand what a person goes through to be able to legally carry a firearm in public. they sometimes can change minds.

in some corporate establishments, they may be useless because many times those policies are made at the corporate level and the management in your local establishment may not have any choice, whether they agree or disagree with the policy of no guns allowed.

16. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

All true. Sometimes it's the other way around. Local establishments run by anti-gun managers post No Gun signs even though that is not company policy.

We ran into a similar situation a few years ago involving Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee, IL. A member here lives in Wisconsin just across the state line. The nearest gun store was this Bass Pro in Illinois. He had gone there for years, bought some ammo and some range time, practiced shooting there, and bought miscellaneous gun supplies there. One day he was told he could not buy there anymore due to recent changes in Wisconsin carry laws. It was driven by the local management who were listening to an Illinois State Police officer who did not know the law.

A team of us on FTF started a letter/email campaign about this. After a number of months, Bass Pro central management stepped in and reversed that policy. I'll try to find the thread where we did that. Kinda strange story much longer than I can recount here.

Found it: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/bass-pro-shops-gone-too-far-59958/

17. Dallas53

awesome stuff Mr. Balota! using these types of restrained and polite measures can make huge changes in people's perceptions and minds.

just because an establishment has a no guns policy, doesn't mean we as gun owners should throw a hissy fit and get all mad about it. simple courtesy and kind words and simple explanation why we choose to do business elsewhere may change the owners mind on whether he allows people to carry within their establishment.

i'm a firm believer in how we present ourselves to the public gains us respect or not. acting in dignified manner and like we have some intelligence and treating others with respect goes along way in defeating some of the negative images that some like to portray us as being.

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Police officers lives matter more than my or my wife's?

sorry, no gun signs or corporate policies apply to EVERYBODY.

19. Dallas53

are you sure about that?

how many times have you ever seen a police officer disarm before going into an establishment with "No Guns" signs?

I think if you check state laws, they are exempt from such provisions.

if i'm wrong then please show me where I am.

I also never said their lives are worth more that your or your family's. but you also have choice. you don't like the policy, then eat somewhere else. they may not have a choice and may have to enter to perform their duty.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There are some things in life that just are, my friend.

I'm not allowed to perform weddings, hear confessions, give last rites to people etc. But an ordained priest can do all of these things. So is he more important than me???

No, but that's just the way the world works. Always has, always will.