Pandemic

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by erikthebald, Sep 27, 2011.

1. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

Watched on television the other night a program called "Life after Armageddon" a dramatized documentary about a family fleeing an epidemic of a virulent strain of influenza.

They trotted out the "experts" some seemingly knowledgeable and some not so much. There was some fairly good information regarding the process of how society breaks down. First medical care, then transportation, the law and order, information, power, water, etc.

What struck me is that the dramatized part of it, the family fleeing the city to ride it out with a relative in Idaho, they did everything, and I mean everything, WRONG.

In an epidemic, you don't ride it out, you head for the hills, post f-ing haste. An airborne virus is not going to be stopped by the walls of your home, unless you've a very, very special sort of home, or you're immune, the latter I wouldn't want to risk. The bodies piling up around you would spawn all sorts of trailing diseases, typhoid, dysentery, you name it. Just get out.

They fled the city virtually unarmed. One pistol, that they either didn't know how to use or were frightened of.

They abandoned their transportation (a minivan no less) at the first sign of trouble.

Just a pathetic attempt at bugging out, but I think it illustrated just how badly prepared most Americans are, and would be, in the event of a large scale disaster.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'll bet it made for good drama, though!

I don't have to worry over here, the wind and salt air takes care of most of the nasties. :rolleyes:

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I saw that back months ago. The scary part is, it's probably an accurate portrayal of most of society.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I saw that too. It's a wonder they even made it out of the city.

5. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

It's been out there a while. I would say it was made to show, what not to do. I mean the guy is suppose to be a Paramedic. Just thought they would be a bit more prepared is all.

They waited WAY to long to leave imo anyway....

But I thought it might be a fair repersentation of what things might be like in that type situation.

Jimmy

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I guess they didn't like guns either. After his wife shot that guy, they ran and left their revolver and that guy's shotgun behind. I would have grabbed both. They also didn't take the gun from that group of kids that tried to kill them. You can get a whole lot farther in a situation like that if you have a gun to defend yourself with.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Saw the same a couple of weeks ago. If I bugged out right now with the wife and kid, and nothing but a pistol and my wife's old beat up Caddy, I would still have a better chance at surviving than those yahoos.

8. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Looking past their mistakes and beyond, it was eye opening. How many of us would survive in an environment with no medical care, no gasoline, no electricity, and no knowledge of how to grow and/or kill food. How many of us even know how to assemble bullets, much less make gun powder?

9. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

That's what I been trying to do forever....learning how to.

Jimmy

10. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

Learing

The whole of life is a learning experience.

11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

They got of the city and into a small farming community. Later is faster forwards to the future.

Real good!

The vehicle was abandoned after the tires were shot out when the tried to run the road block. They did get another one that was abandoned!

I have seen it twice.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I see it as an asset to those of us who are prepared. My dad, an ex-marine , always said " Know your enemy". These "sheeple" are going to be a bigger threat than many of us are prepared for. Never underestimate the power of large paniced groups of unprepared idiots!:eek: A freaked out novice who is scared, hungry, and armed could be just as dangerous to a small group of survivors.

13. BioInclined

BioInclined New Member

great point. One man with a gun protecting another person or family could be tough to win against say 7-10 with mob mentality. Most people who seem like they are very prepared here want to go fairly solo, really, we should all meet somewhere and then we'd rock! lol

14. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

yes rioting hungrey people is what scares me i live in a small farming community lots of elderly folks in our small town i have houses fairly close to me but we are 10-25 miles away from the city i wonder how long it will take people to come out of the city to look for things thats what concerns me the most