Palmetto State Armory

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mrfox556, Dec 27, 2013.

1. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

Is there a bad thing to be said about them? I'm looking into building my first ar15 this spring and it looks like palmetto state is a good route to take. Especially considering I'm on a bit of a budget. Who out there has some experience with them?

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

look at the AR forums (sub group of General Rifle discussion). There are a number of members who swear by PSA for build projects

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have purchased various parts from them. I assembled an AR using all PSA stuff, it fit properly and goes bang when I pull the trigger.

The PSA premium light weight, mid-length upper is a very nice piece of hardware.

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Heard very good things about PSA. If you're on their Email watch for certain parts, you can run into very good bargains.

5. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

I think I'll have to sign up for email with them soon. I watched a torture test video on a psa ar15 that was impressive.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The only grip i have about them is that they sometime take a little too long to build and ship stuff out.

Most times if your order is in stock they only take a few days to ship it out, sometime more if its really busy. If you order an upper they can take a few weeks to ship.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

^^^this. Ordered a LPK on the 16th. Said it was in sock. Just got email today saying it is packed waiting on pick up by UPS. A little slow but quality products at good prices. Well worth the wait.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've also had good luck with PSA, I have one of their midlength uppers, BCG and LBKs. All have been good but as Tikki said, they can be slow filling orders.

I'd stay away from their PTAC line, it appears to be lower quality.

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Another recommendation for PSA, I use their parts in all my builds but as stated before, don't expect then to get in a hurry. In my opinion the wait is well worth the price and quality level that you get though.

I was thinking the same thing looking at the pics on their site.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

To me.. they are famous for having good deals :)

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Most PSA stuff is great (especially the uppers with FN barrels and upgraded handguards). Some of the 'PTAC' packages can be hit or miss in my experience, and I generally avoid them.

Can you get better quality? Absolutely! Can you pay less? Sure. But those two categories (quality + affordability = value) don't intersect as well anywhere else as they do with PSA. They're the ideal option for someone looking to get the max out of a $700-1300 type build, in my opinion. And that's why they have a whole buncha my money. If your budget is a bit north of $1K, I'd also highly recommend BCM when it comes to the upper half.

I use PSA for most of my builds. Their Magpul LBKs are great, because they've got the right furniture and the PSA milspec triggers have always been somewhere between good and better than good in my experience. Their barreled uppers (again, advantage FN barrels) are excellent quality at a great price. And their misc parts and accessories are priced right as well.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

This fella (Chloe) is starting to figure it out. First he doubts them...but in a few months he'll be building his own PSA rifle. And he'll benefit in the process. I smell a covert, LOL.

Plus, I like his avatar. Inconceivable!

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'll give you the low down (I've spent maybe $12K there this year).

• Avoid the PTAC stuff for serious busines rifles. Not terrible, but also not great.

• They're an excellent resource for LBKs and (FN) barreled uppers.

• Their service has required a 4-6 week wait for most of this year (consider the circumstances and nutty market), but 1-2 weeks has been the norm of late.

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter Active Member

I'm all over it Sweeper. Just lend me some $$ and I'll send some to PSA lol (my truck repair was my 'build' for the next 3 months lol)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  15. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

PSA is great if you don't mind waiting for the parts to be in stock. They always seem to be out of stock on barrels.
    I have found that DSa and Del-ton have good parts also.

16. AR_rdm

AR_rdm New Member

New here but wanted to add my 2 cents! I bought my PSA stripped lower on nov 30th took 3 weeks to get it to my FFL word of caution they don't answer emails! But they read them took 2 before I heard anything! I am going to give them another chance soon really hate waiting!

17. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

PSA is good. Check out aimsurplus.com. I just ordered a complete Spikes Tactical upper and complete Spikes Tactical lower with the nickel boron trigger for $905 and done change shipped (free shipping). Took a week to get to me due to the holidays but I highly recommend aimsurplus!!

18. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

I echo Sweepers post, in fact I had to look twice to see if I wrote it :). Buy "premium" and avoid Ptac. Shipping is slow but they build each order and have so many specials that they will never get ahead of the demand. Del-Ton has like quality rifles and parts, both companies have A+ customer service.