Palm Frond Used As Weapon In 'Most Bizarre' Central Fla. Store Robbery

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sculker, Jun 20, 2008.

1. sculker

sculker New Member

:eek:

DELAND, Fla. -- A Central Florida man armed only with a large palm frond robbed a store in a crime described by police as one of the most bizarre they've ever seen.

Police said Gelando Olivieri attempted to rob the V&F Discount Beverage store in DeLand by threatening harm with a spiked Spanish bayonet, a palmetto-like plant with sharp points on its leaves. "The man came in with the branch. I have never seen anything like this," owner Goutam Sarkar told the DeLand-Deltona Beacon Thursday.

Surveillance video showed Olivieri wildly waving the palm frond in front of a worker's face.

Investigators said Olivieri threatened to use the leaves to stab if he wasn't given $50.

"(The plant) was sharp," Sarkar said.

Before any money was exchanged, Oliveiri was chased out of the store by a man armed with a bar stool.

Oliveri was arrested a short time after the crime and charged with armed robbery.

A police official said the leaves of the Spanish bayonet are like knives and that people often plant them under windows to stop break-ins.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

* Video: Bandit Uses Palm Frond Used As Weapon In Store Robbery, Police Say

http://www.local6.com/news/16654677/detail.html

2. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Ok. You caught my attention. First let me say that not only are the bayonets sharp, the sting like a bugger as well. I still wouldn't have given him the dough. You should seriously rethink your criminal career when you are run off by a guy with a bar school because he "Out Guns" you.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Merely reaffirms my belief in the need to outlaw Assualt Plants!

4. ScottG

ScottG New Member

will those things fit on my M1?

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Scott- only if your M1 was made in Spain.

6. Zappa

Zappa New Member

It only proves once again that nearly ANYTHING can be used as a weapon in the hands of someone hell-bent on doing harm to another. I remember a case last year where a woman beat her boyfriend to death with an IPOD because he erased her MP3 collection.