Paleo Q & A

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Because I'm having pm issues and because some here have expressed interest in feeling the best they ever have.
    Any questions? Comments? Success stories?

I Went from 255 to 180ish with very little exercise, and insane gains in energy and mood. That's my success story. Flat out, Paleo is AWESOME! And it works! It's not a fad, it's a lifestyle.

2. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

I have a question.

What is Paleo?:confused:

3. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I am actually agree with TWMIM. Hold on a sec a pig just flew by.
    Any way what is it you're talking about?

4. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Paleo is eating based on evolution. Humans have been around for 250,000 years. Longer if you consider pre-human ancestors. Agriculture didn't come around until 5-7,000 years ago. Basically, we're not designed to eat grains, milk, sugar, processed foods, beans, etc.

It's a diet consisting of mainly fats, meats, vegetables, and moderate fruit. And nuts (no peanuts).

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have been doing some reading and I am really considering giving this the 28 day try to see how I feel and how it works. Some more research time today to follow.

On the plus side I work, literally, about two blocks from Pike Place Market, so all the fresh local fish, meat and veggies can we had quite easily with a much needed walk at lunch.

My concerns are the restriction on my adult beverage and bread. I do love you sourdough.

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Edit that out before dog sees it!!!
    Sourdough is pretty incredible isn't it.

7. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

You up for another challenge?:D

8. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I'm looking into to it as well JD. My concerns are the same as yours about the beer and whiskey.

My take on it is like any other "diet" things like that are OK in moderation. If you really want a slice or two of pizza, have it, just not everyday. My diet is already half Paleo anyways as I can't have milk or ice cream (although I do OK with most cheese) and many forms of bread bother my gut.

I am looking more into it because of the supposed energy gain and I could stand to lose 10 lbs. I'd like to trim back down to 200lbs. I already gave up pop (soda for you people outside the mid west). Coffee will be a *****, but I figure I'll limit myself to one cup in the morning and then ween off of it.

My biggest challenge will be lunch. I am alone at work most days, and so I have to close the shop and grab something quick. Making a lunch at home is an option, but it is tough as I have very hectic mornings trying to get a 4 and 5 year old out the door (it's like herding cats, I swear). So any suggestions as to a lunch that I can make the night before would be great.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Who else do you know is crazy enough to follow down the dark rabbit hole? Are you up to another sprint for forum entertainment?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My love affair with sourdough has been WELL mocked by many, and on many occasions, so this not virgin territory.

Not unlike your backside there Butters. :D. ZING!!!

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Oooh i wanna see this.
    Finally i will be a spectator not the competitor.
    Tear him up JD!!

12. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Lol i have heard the stories :D

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fats meats veggies...
    Sounds like atkins diet. Whole grains and beans not good for you? I'm not sold on that idea.

14. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

Where did we do the poop thread?:confused:

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Bunker. But if we do this in the Bunker we need to bump Mosin up so he can post and help guide us.

16. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

Looking for the poop thread.....:eek:

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

18. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

"Atkins

Is a ketogenic diet. It puts your body in a safe version of a fasting state so that your body turns fat into ketone bodies. Ketone bodies cannot be reassimilated to fat so unused ketone bodies are urinated out.
    Emphasis is on both protein and fats. Protein is there to help protect your muscle mass, and fat is used to provide some additional energy.
    Is designed as a temporary diet to help you lose weight, it is not intended for prolonged use.
    Paleo

Is based on what scientists believe the average paleolithic man ate. This includes berries and easily accessible fruit/vegetables as well as meat.
    Emphasis is on avoiding processed foods and foods that are likely to cause digestion problems. This includes grains (like wheat), tubers (like potatoes), and legumes (like beans).
    Is designed as a way of life diet, or in other words a sustainable diet you can use for the long term.
    There are some commonalities between the two approaches, such as the emphasis on meat as a protein source. However, Paleo tends towards whole foods and grass/natural diet fed meat and Atkins makes no distinction. While Atkins does not allow carbs which would take someone out of ketosis, Paleo does allow carbs"

This is what I see the main difference to be^. With the Paleo diet, you can eat things like sweet potatoes.

19. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It started off not being received well, but then everyone was glued to the updates... LOL

So, here's the plan as I see.

1) Bump Mosin. I can take care of that.

2) Post some more information here for general consumption to see if anyone else wants to tag along (i.e. get suckered in on the suffering) with us on the 28 day journey.

3) Pick a date we start, I was thinking Monday the 24th for me because I can shop this weekend, but we can delay based on interest. We do a weigh in or a measurement of your target area, something as a baseline.

4) New EPIC thread in the Bunker, Dear Diary Stylez, where we discuss what we eat, how we feel, what side effects we are going through, withdrawls, the whole gambit.

5) Finish off the 28 day sprint, hopefully alive, with a weigh in or measurement taking to see the effects and pass sentence on how hard it is, how effective it is and if it works for us personally in a working, daily life.

Anyone want to co-chair the plan? Alter it? Second it?