Painting my Marlin

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by longunner, Sep 27, 2012.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

I have a perfectly good Marlin but I'm wanting to turn it into a small project just for fun. I was at work and I saw a can of Rustoleum spray paint and I really liked the color so I figured that was enough to get me really moving on starting it. I have never done any kind of refinishing on any kind of rifle. Hell I don't even know if its totally stupid to use Spray Paint or Rustoleum or anything I'm even considering is just plain stupid. I was browsing some of the other threads about refinishing and I saw a project that Canebrake did and it looked great. If anyone has any tips on painting a stock/barrel any advice would be great.

2. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

So you have a perfectly good Marlin and want to paint it. Why?

Buy some rusted out POS and paint away.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

you have to de-grease the metal with alcohol or brake cleaner or similar. Check to see if the paint you pick reacts with the existing stock finish(most are OK but check). then go ahead and paint.

4. longunner

longunner New Member

I shouldn't sand off the finish on the stock?

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Unless it is very shiny there is no real reason to sand. You can sand if you want as it won't hurt anything. or you can sand lightly to increase adhesion of the paint.

6. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I would use Duracoat instead. It is fairly inexpensive, easy to use, holds up well and is available in a bunch of colors.

I bought the EZ Finishing Kit that came with:

Airbrush with air hose and couplings
    9oz airbrush propellant (in a can) with valve
    Color bottle with adapter
    Color bottle with cap
    4oz stock Duracoat color of your choice
    1oz Duracoat hardener
    2oz Duracoat reducer
    6oz aerosol TruStrip
    Instructional DVD

This is enough to finish 2-4 firearms. I refinished a CZ82 pictured below. You can add other items at additional cost. You can cruise around their site for other colors and stuff they offer. Here is the link to the site.

http://lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=930

[​IMG]

8. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

What kind of Marlin is it?
    If it is a 336 HELL NO
    If it is something like the model 60 - if you really want to youu will'nt hout it much.
    but tell us what it is?

9. longunner

longunner New Member

It's a model 60...I think that Johnjax is right I'm just going to keep an eye out for some rusty piece.