paintball as tactical exercise ?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Tailypoe, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

what do y'all think of paintball, as a training exercise ?
    certainly not as instantaneous as actual bullets, you can see them whizzing by, but the level of realism is uncanny these day, there are paintball ar's and paintball ak's everywhere.
    I just picked up a lovely tippmann 98 paitnabll "marker", and I'm taking out out in the woods with some buddies. What do you guys think ? Ever heard of this ?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I paintball. It is a blast. But as far as tactical training...umm, I would never try to use a bush as cover if real ammo was being used. But it can be a lot of fun just the same.

3. Polygon

Polygon New Member

One thing that all my years of watching the A-Team has taught me is that bushes are indestructible.

But really, I could see that. I've done paintball. If set up right I don't see why not.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

my mp unit tried it once as a training experiment. we were SUPPOSED to use the paintguns as a force on force exercise in mout traing. by the time we got to the range we had expended all the paintballs shooting at each others hmmvw...

for some units it is NOT a good tool

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If you do speedball, it would simulate fighting an opponent with a firearm possibly representing your house - how to look for cover, move quickly and remain behind cover. But shooting 200 rounds per match is a little unrealistic. Plus most defensive shootings happen withing 21 feet.

6. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

using paintball items as a tool for tactical training is good idea. thinking of speed ball and such as tactical training, not so good, but it does teach fundimentals. find cover, shoot first, head on swivel, of that nature.

i will say during the various years of tactical training ive helped teach. id take a 17 year old kid with a good head on his shoulders whos played paintball since he was little, than a 30 year old good ol'boy whos been hunting all his life.

*edit* if people on here do their damnest to relate airsoft to real firefights, you should feel safe saying paintball provides some form of tactical training -

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Airsoft has many exact copies of real pistols with working slides, safeties and magazines so with glasses and long sleeves, you can practice speed draw from cover, engaging multiple targets, house clearing, almost anything you can think of and get your friends to carry an axe and be a "perp" and actually shoot them! Costs are reasonable and even some police departments are using Airsoft for training.

8. NativH

NativH New Member

I played paintball for years and while fun, I'd hate to use the tactics in real life. Or fall into old habits. Tried to get a neighbor who was DEA to go along and he said no thanks. Said they used simunitions and it hurt enough to keep folks from getting bad habits. Made sense to me.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

give me the good ol'boy and we'll see who wins.. maybe im just biased. keeping your head on a swivel is the name of the game when whitetail stalking.

10. usmcprofessional

whitetailed deer dosent hunt back

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

true.. but how freaky would that be right? deer with a vengance. haha

12. usmcprofessional

well technically thats hunting. searing 100lbs deer in half with a 30-06 is just blood lusting...or hungry and going the long way about it.

13. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Absolutely!

Interestingly enough, I've observed in paintball and airsoft that guys I know who are good at First-Person shooter games tend to be better at these "live action" sports. I think a lot of it is developing the mindset to M.O.V.E. Of course, I'm not at all saying that playing or being good at video games makes you better in defensive or "tactical" sitiations . But, I am just saying I think there are lots of ways positive habits and tendencies can be fostered without flat-out going to war or taking thousand-dollar FoF training classes.

I'd also say you'd have to be conscious of realism, etc. Airsoft rifles holding 400 rounds that allow you to spam full-auto for 10 seconds at a time aren't going to be nearly as realistic as, for example, many of the handguns I've seen with realistic capacities and rates of fire. Similarly, for paintball, if everyone agreed to limit themselves to like 50 or even 20 rounds, it would make people a lot more conscious of exactly what each shot is accomplishing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  14. rachilders

rachilders New Member

While it's not exactly the "real" world, paintball is about as real as you can get without using real bullets. You simply need to limit yourself to actual scenarios and restrict the number of shots to realistic numbers. As has already been pointed out, a rosebush or cardboard box isn't going to stop a bullet in real life so you limit your cover and other props to what would be encountered in real word situations. Beyond that, you can keep most training exercises as realistic as you'd like. Just ensure that EVERYONE involved realizes this is a TRAINING exercise, they are NOT there to play games and the participants treat the event accordingly.

15. WDB

WDB New Member

Paint ball is a lot of fun and I expect some advantage like taking/shooting from cover. I found when playing that I would take risks that I wouldn't with live rounds heading my way so that diminished the value but still was a lot of fun. There use to be a great local place that had this group of paint ball comando's that would hang out and wait for a group to show up to play. These guys took it way to serously, once when we were there they shot a guy on there team as soon as the horn blew because he wasn't part of there group. The guy was pizzed and while they argued about it we rushed them and sprayed paint all over them. The lead comando got truly upset because he said I shot him (several times) after he was already eliminated (he was still firing and trying to organize his comando's when I hit him). To solve the issue I shot him again and explained if your are eliminated your supose to shut up and return to base. Dam near truned into hand to hand but he thought better of it. We were there to have fun these guys were there to bully others. The owner converted the place into an archery range with a pretty sweet walk though with foam deer and bear to shoot in hunting situations. He claims it cleared out the the hastle no more comando's.

16. locnload

locnload New Member

Unlike some, I think any "Gun Games" can be helpful in your quest to be ready for the real thing. The more you keep the senarios and rules realistic the better. I shoot IDPA and other defensive pistol matches not to win trophies and titles, but to have the chance to shoot various senarios and target arays of someone else's design. I use "real world" carry gear and avoid "gamming" the stages so that everything falls nicely into preplanned order as I go through. I'd bet that in a real world encounter nothing will go as planned, if you even had time to make a plan. So I say go for it, there is good training to be had in any "Gun Game" if you approach it that way.:D

17. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

ouch

I just shot myself in the foot intentionally with a small cloth over it, nice purple welt, pretty traumatic.

It's liek being punched with full follow-thru from an angry 16-yr. old girl.

18. usmcprofessional

now do that to your balls. your pain brings me great amusement.

we use to play woodsball rather than speedball. in full cammies, actual tactical gear. hell my right hand man wore a fully guille suit...strange thing was i was his assault man he was my machine gunner, i tried to explain it to him but he didnt want to hear it about his choice of outfit. other than the lessons my father thought me growing up, i learned hunting people is alot of fun. and A LOT of them have no idea how to hunt back.