Paint for sights/safeties?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by therhino, Sep 11, 2012.

1. therhino

therhino New Member

Is there a specific paint or product available for repainting sight and safety dots? The red/white on my CZ82 is faded, and I'd like to reapply it.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

enamel fingernail paint works well just clean the area your painting good with acetone , dont use nail polish remover it has oils in it and your paint wont stick well to it

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I bought some "Bright Sights" paint, but was a little disappointed in the "Ghost Glow" paint they advertise. Here's a link in case you want to try it.

http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml

But the fingernail paint, as purehavoc mentions, may do as well & easier to get. I've also heard of using model airplane paint or auto touch-up paint. One hint, dip a toothpick in the paint & apply it with that. You can pinpoint where it goes a lot easier than with a brush.

4. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

I have always used fingernail paint as well. I get the brightest neon colored paint I can find ad just touch them up as needed. It won't glow in the dark but in low light situations they do reflect a little bit of ambient light, enough to see your sights quickly as long as it isn't pitch black outside.

5. therhino

therhino New Member

Thanks, all. I think the wife has some red fingernail polish under the sink.

6. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

I tried acrylic glow paint on mine and works well as long as the piece doesn't rub up against stuff

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I like fingernail polish for sights. If the sight is smaller than you prefer it's pretty easy to put a globe on top of it. I have the best luck with Lee Hard as Nails. I have never tried fingernail polish on a safety. Fingernail polish is so thick I can see a lot things going wrong when used on a safety.

Cabelas has decent glow in the dark paint
    http://www.cabelas.com/gun-slings-glow-dark-sight-paint-kit.shtml

8. orangello

orangello New Member

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have the glow-on and it works alot better than most of the lumenicent stuff out there . but again its just ok stuff their decals work better and longer but that stuff is thick and its hard to cut small stuff and work with it

10. therhino

therhino New Member

Sorry, I meant the safety indicator indent. On a CZ82, it's a small indent filled with red paint under the slide on each side of the weapon.

11. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

Any good paint should work cause my 45 is like that

12. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I have painted the front ramp on 2 of my revolvers with neon orange nail polish. Really works well and holds up to cleaning products. If you go this route, make sure to use 1 coat of white then your color of choice on top of that.

13. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Just purchased a glow paint from Glow Nation. It was recommended by a friend so I thought I would try it. You have to clean the sights well, dab a little of the glo paint of your choice from this company, let it dry, and then put a little clear fingernail polish over it. As of yet I do not know how long it will last but even if I have to use it every time I go to the range that will be good enough. Gun is a Bersa Thunder 22 and I cannot seem to find any night sights for it.