Packmayr grips. Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DaughterofAres, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

So... My new M-17-3 came with an extra hand grip. A Packmayr. I like it... but "hear" that some people detest them. (as in - don't ever put one on your gun - I think that was the line)

Do you like the Packmayr grips or not? Can you explain why or why not. This girl has got to know!! ;) Did I just put a trailer trash grip on my beauty or is she going to be ok? lol!

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I depends on the weapon and application/use of the weapon.
    I like both the Pachmeyers and the Houge where applicable.:)

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Why do you care what someone else thinks? The manufacturer must have thought the Pachmayr was a suitable grip for the gun. The manufacturer hires engineers and armorers to make such decisions. Who knows more about weapons engineers and armorers or keyboard commandos?

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Me love them long time!

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Depends on how much the engineers and armorers actually shoot the guns.

Bob Wright

6. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

As to rubber grips, I have no use for them.

I have at times shot guns having them mounted, and had the web of my hand abraded raw. The rubber just got that little fold of skin in between thumb and forefinger and rolled it raw.

And how often I've tried to get off a quick shot and didn't because I could not shift the gun slightly to get a better grip.

And, I don't like the soft feel nor the atrocious looks.

Other than that, rubber grips are O.K.

Bob Wright

7. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I've only tried one which was for my Keltec P3AT. To that I would call it alright. Can't comment on any of the others. I would assume it all depends on the gun.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For looks they can turn some off. For functionality, they are great! (IMHO) The Pachmeyers were/are made in several renditions; the original Jordans (no finger grooves), the Grippers (with finger groves and covered back strap) and the Professionals (finger grooves and open back strap).

I prefer the Grippers because of my large hands. Smaller hands usually like the professionals

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The benefit of rubber grips is unlike wood they don't slip or slide when covered in blood or sweat or water. Downside is the thing that makes them stick also sticks them to clothing making ccw draws iffy at best under stress.

I don't use rubber grips for ccw guns or guns hidden or covered by clothing but they are fantastic for open carry.

You won't see sticky tape or rough stipling on my concealed guns. I like hard plastic or rough checkered wood for ccw purposes.

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I love the Colt 1911 weighted Pachmyer mono grip. I "hate" the "target" Pachmyers on Colt revolvers because they are awkwardly shaped, and they kill the classic looks. If I ever need to pull rubber on mine... :D Hogue please.

11. Decide for yourself

Packmayr makes good grips. They tend to fit the arm for which they are intended. (Not a small issue, by the way.)

They can reduce felt recoil on higher powered arms. They don't stain, rot or suffer damage in the same manner as plastic or wood grips. They're easy to replace and seldom generate any sentimental feelings.

On the down side, as Mr. Wright mentioned, it is hard to adjust one's grip one-handed. If the absolute proper grip is not obtained from the holster, one is out of luck unless the arm can be removed and re-gripped with assistance from the off hand. They can stick to clothing if carried concealed. (Usually ends up pulling my shirt out when it happens.) And I personally find them aesthetically lacking. (That's fancy for 'ugly as sin'.)

However, if they fit your hand and meet your current needs, why spend money on something else? Use them a bit and decide for yourself. If nothing else, you'll have some idea of what YOU don't like about them and what would suit YOUR needs better. What works for me, Mr. Wright or Jerry Miculek may not work for you worth a hoot.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Packmayr rubber "Handle Bar" grips became popular during the handgun Silhouette shooting craze. Heavy recoiling handguns often received damaged frames while shooting from a prone position. Sweaty hands would slip on wooden grips during the long shooting strings.
    They were made for utilitarian purposes not looks. They also became popular for hunting in cold inclimate weather. It seems they are not as popular these days. My old S&W 29-2, 8 3/8" .44 Mag still wears a pair of those Black ugly grips.;)

13. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Same here.. They were the "gold standard" for a very long time...

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Grips of any sort are a personal thing. You really won't know whether they work for you until you test them.
    FWIW, I prefer Hogues over Pachmayr for the most part. I feel the texture on Hogues (at least the ones I own) works better for me. They're "grippy" but not overly so. YMMV.
    FWIW, I've only ever hated one set of grips, those godawful ugly cheap plastic grip panels that come on the CZ75s. And to be fair, they worked fine, I just couldn't stand to look at them.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have used the Pachmyer grips in different styles over the years an they are not bad grips by any means, but have found that the Hogue grips work better for me.

the key to controlling recoil is how well the pistol fits your hand. the better it fits, the much better you will usually shoot with that pistol. and a good set of grips can make a world of difference.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

I guess I have the Jordans on my S&W 66 then.

OP -

I kinda like them. Of course I've never shot that revolver with different grips on it so its hard for me to accurately compare them.

But they fill my hand well and I perceive less recoil with them.

Also I shoot that revolver (in double action) better than any of my other guns. So I guess I'll keep 'em for now. :)

As others said, try them out and see if you like them, and go from there.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

I use Pachmayr grips on my Model 29 44mag and Ruger Redhawk 41mag. The checkered grips on the S&W would bloody the heel of my hand after 12-15 rounds and the stock Ruger grips were on the small side for a gun that size. The rubber grips took care of both issues. I kept the wooden grips because I like the way they look, but if I'm shooting either or both of these revolvers, the Pachs are on.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Hogue on my 629. I tried a Bantam grip. Bad idea. It looked weird because it is a small two finger grip. It was on a big N frame revolver. And it was difficult to control with full power 44 mag. I have a 64-6 that came with Packmayr grips. I wanted to put a Hogue on it. But I ran a cross a beautiful wooden grip that converts from round butt to square butt. I had to do some altering to use my speed loaders. But it works great now. I like Hogue. But I think my Packmayr grips are ugly.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I prefer Hogue soft rubber grips too