PA Law Question

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by D2h6r89, Jul 11, 2011.

1. D2h6r89

D2h6r89 New Member

It says that carrying a gun in a vehicle without a CCW license is a 3rd degree felony. Is it still illegal if you're on you're way tofro the range?

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Sounds like you need to look into your laws a little more, and give more info.

What kind of license do you have and what are you transporting?

3. D2h6r89

D2h6r89 New Member

I dont have a license, because state law doesn't require you to have one or a permit to purchase and own a handgun for your home. You need a license to carry it concealed.

It is a Glock 17

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Philly is diferent than the rest of PA and I would agree that a thorough reading of the applicable laws are in order. Generally, however, a gun can be transported to and from the range if it is unloaded and located in the trunk of the car. If you have a vehicle without a trunk like an SUV then a locked case is the safest bet. Be sure to have your range ID card or some other proof that you are going to/from the range. Obviously you do not want to be pulled over at midnight with the gun in your trunk, you will be defenseless at that point since your route to and from the range must be as direct as possible and only "reasonable" stops are permitted.

http://www.pafirearmslawyer.com/Transport.html

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As a reminder, not all of us have passed the bar exam.

Those that make the law, and those that enforce the law may be a better source for an answer.

6. zimm

zimm New Member

I am not a lawyer or a police officer, but here is how the PA laws were explained to me. You can not have a LOADED firearm anywhere in or even touching a motor vehicle without a ccw permit. A firearm is considered to be "loaded" if there are cartridges in either the chamber or the attached magazine. You can have an unloaded firearm in your car all you want.
    However, even if you do have a ccw, there are still times when you can not have a loaded firearm in your car, such as spotlighting for deer.

7. Rarity

Rarity New Member

I think you will have to keep the firearm unloaded and inside of a case when you are traveling to, OR from a shooting range or FFL dealer.

Not sure how it works over there but to an extent I'm pretty sure it is one of those.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Keep your firearms and ammo in separate locked containers in your locked trunk and it sounds like your good.