P95 fte

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by wieseman71, Aug 17, 2013.

1. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

My son and I went to the range today , he was shooting the p95 and had 2 FTE while shooting 4 mags of ammo. Two mags were herters 115 grain brass the other two were federal 115 grain brass. It happened with both ammo. I clean my firearms after every range visit, so I hope it's just a fluke.

2. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

What brand magazine are you using and is he limp wristing it

3. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

The mags are from ruger the same ones that came with it, I don't think he's limp wristing it, the slide came back far enough to grab another round.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I think the P95 is a little sensitive when shooting. I own one and when I shoot it, it shoots great for me. When someone else shoots it gets a FTE. So, I think there might be some limp wristing involved from my experience with my P95.

5. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I'm going to the range tomorrow with my wife and step daughter. I will shoot a couple mags with it myself and see. My sons shoot it before and hasn't had any problems, he likes it the most out of all my pistols. He's 14 stands 5'10" weighs 170 and wears size 13 shoes he's a big kid . I'm thinking about giving it to him when he's 21 or I might have to buy another dont know if I can part with it.

6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The P95 was my first hand gun and I will not part with it!!!! It seems to only like me!!!;)

7. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I noticed this problem with a stoeger cougar. My friends couldnt get it to feed right. Some guns just dont like some people

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just curious, how many rounds do you think have gone through the gun total?

9. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I would guess close to 1200-1500 it's about two and a half years old and bought new by me.

10. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

About 1200-1500. It's almost 3 years old and bought new by me. Do you think the extractor is wearing out?

11. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

Sorry for double post, didn't think the first one went thru.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm no expert, but its possible. You might give Ruger a call, but since it only happened with a couple rounds you might not even worry about it yet (unless it serves a SD/HD role).

13. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I'm going to the range tomorrow if it dose it to me ill take your advice and give ruger a call. I conceal a kahr cm9 and I have a mossberg 500 and ruger sr9c next to the bed, do its not a emergency. I just posted because everybody who owns a p95 says they've never had a problem and was looking for advice. I love ruger firearms !!!! I hope it's just a fluke

14. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

Well it worked fine for me, must be the way the kid was shooting it.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Or bad rounds. It happens sometimes from the factory.

16. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

That's posable but ill keep a eye on him next time he uses it. Thanks for all the advice!!

17. mahall

mahall New Member

For the record and for what's it worth!! This is the first FTE or jamming issue I've ever heard of from the p95! High praise and flawless performance is the norm! But thanks for sharing! Proves that all guns are mechanical and subject to failure!

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

It is not hard to miss a little dirt when you do a cleaning. Anybody can have an off day. A little chunk of something stuck under an extractor...then it gets knocked out while shooting. Stranger things have happened. I wouldn't sweat one experience like that. I doubt that 1500 rounds is going to wear out anything on a Ruger. We are not talking about a Jennings here.

19. wieseman71

wieseman71 New Member

I'm a huge ruger fan and love the p95. I was in no way knocking the quality of rugers!!!! Everything mentioned could have been the culprit dirt, limp wristing or a bad round. I've never heard anything bad about the p95 so I figured I'd get some suggestions and advice. The comments about ruger not being a jiminez put a big smile and a small chuckle on my face.

20. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

I have one(2009) and love it. Not a bad shooter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013