P30 or USP

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by Don_Mega, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Don_Mega

Don_Mega New Member

Which of the two models do you guys think is better?

2. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

Depends on you and how the gun fits... the full sized USP .45 fits me like a custom made glove.:D

Which is why I got it so reasonably, the person I bought it from (over 10 years ago) had small hands....;)

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

That's pretty much your answer. They're both good guns, albeit a little stressful on some wallets.

I've shot both and own neither. My preference in a similar gun is the XDm. But the P30 would be an excellent alternative for me (I have medium sized hands, prefer a slimmer frame when all else is equal) and I like just about everything about the gun apart from the price and expensive mags. I'd also add that the M&P and FNP/FNX lines of guns would be excellent options...again, for me. Everything about these guns are excellent for my tastes and fit in a high-cap service type pistol.

The USP can feel oversized and blocky for a lot of shooters, but comfy if you require a larger grip. Getting each in hand should really answer your question in mere seconds. Whichever feels more natural, wins. It really is that simple.

Not sure if I'll ever own one, but I do like the P30.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

+1 except on the XDm I have two the XD 9 with the extended mag, and a XDm 40. They are nice BUG's but I am not too fond of their Glock style trigger. The HK on the other hand SA DA with it's two stage trigger is one of the safest guns available to carry with one in the pipe and the hammer down.:D

5. aikimo

aikimo New Member

I just bought the p30.. Love the way the gun feels... You should really go to your local gun shop and hold both...

Good luck

6. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I have the P30. The double action out of the box is flat out horrible. I read up on it and some owners say it smooths out considerable the more you shoot it. That's really the only negative thing to say about it, other than that, very nice handgun.

7. aikimo

aikimo New Member

Agreed. I am not really fond of the da action either (only has about 100rds through it) but the sa action is awesome.. Hoping it breaks in.

8. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

as you practice you will get use to the DA SA quickly, in one of my routines I slide / roll my thumb over the hammer on draw so it is SA ready for a long (100 yard) shot.

9. jyo

jyo New Member

I own both---USPf 9mm and P30S 9mm (both DA/SA)---both are great pistols---the P30 just feels better and is totally ambi---you can't go wrong!

10. ArmyREMF

ArmyREMF New Member

I haven't handled a P30 yet but my USPf is amazing. I don't know if I could switch.

11. I have a USPc40 and find it does pretty much everything I want done. I have the variant one, so I can operate it from a cocked and locked condition. And it fits my somewhat short fingers.

12. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I have the USP full size and the P30. The USP has a light mounted on it and the P30 has been hyjacked by my wife. She likes the fact there is no thumb safety. You can have a round in chamber and use the decocker to release the hammer. Less bells and whistles and more just being simple. It is the perfect size gun for either of us to pack.

13. notafreemason

notafreemason New Member

personally I would go 40s&w p30 L........ergonomics w accuracy and less recoil. ..if its 9mm then I would go p30 over uspc.

14. notafreemason

notafreemason New Member

4.45 in barrel for p30l.....or 3.85 barrel for p30 ..my usp expert 45apc is 5.20 barrel....perfect size for a 45 apc for power and recoil/ accuracy

ForumRunner_20130523_085749.jpg

ForumRunner_20130523_085806.jpg

15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I love my full sized USP .40. Still...both are awesome guns from an awesome company that was uses awsome German engineering with awesome quality materials that is just oozing with awesomeness of the most awesomest kind.

It is up to you though. How you want to carry, which variant, which you are most skillful with and which is most comfortable. Either choice still means if have a gun that is......

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. NDMarksman

NDMarksman Member Supporter

My P30 V2 LEM

You also have the P30 V2 LEM option they're just not quite as easy to find. I have a V2 LEM as well as the V3S DA/SA and I love them both. IMHO the advantage of the V2 LEM for EDC is the trigger / trigger system. Once you chamber that first round the bobbed hammer is down until you draw in preparation to fire and begin squeezing the trigger. The initial trigger pull will bring the trigger easily to about 85% and you just feel the trigger stop. The next squeeze and you're firing. The nice part, the trigger pull and reset never change. It's one of the safest trigger systems around and that's why I typically grab mine for EDC. BTW, I did install the light trigger spring kit so my LEM trigger is as light as they get. The other accessory I installed was a set of Trijicon HD sights with the orange outline front......sweet !!

Attached Files:

17. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

They're both excellent i have the usp and my friend has the p30L and to be honest it's a toss up go with either and you'll have a quality piece of hardware that'll probably last a lifetime

18. indy36

indy36 New Member

I have the 9mm P30LS. I shoot IDPA events with it. It's a great gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

19. mdwalkerjr

mdwalkerjr New Member Supporter

I have a USP Fullsize .45, a HK45 and a HK45c. All three are great guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. Mat523

Mat523 New Member

I went with the hk p30s in .40 sw