P238 with stock holster issue.

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by archangel2003, Jan 31, 2014.

1. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

My Daughter gave me a P238 that came in a case with 2 magazines and a plastic holster.

The gun looks great, shoots great, everything about it is grear except the holster.

It has these (forever?) glow in the dark sights (once again great).

The issue I found out is really the front sight.

It appears to have shoulders on the sides of the sight that are catching on the plastic holster.

They appear to have no function at all.

When putting it in, the slide starts to rack back and it takes great effort to remove it.

Now I see that these sight shoulders are carving grooves in the plastic.

I contacted Sig Sauer but they acted like they did not understand the issue and offered me another holster of the same design as it is the only one they have for that gun.

Seriously, with all those P238's out there with this style of front sight on it, I can't believe I am the only one with this issue.:confused:

If they would at least admit there is an issue I could accept that.:mad:

They do not even accept e mails, only phone calls.:(

My phone camera sucks, but you can see the shavings curled inside the holster and the shoulders on the front sight.

My only thoughts to solve the issue other than replacing the front sight is to use a drimmel with a cut off wheel to round and reduce the shoulders down.:eek:

I asked Sig if they would fix it by rounding the points on the side of the front sight and he acted as if the P238 were a shrine of perfection and who would dare modify any aspect of such perfection.

I doubt there would be enough material to clearance the holster.

If I kill the sight, oh well, it needed replacing anyway.

Attached Files:

2. indy36

indy36 New Member

I use this OWB leather holster. Works great.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391223278.879902.jpg

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Does look like the front sight is sticking up some...

4. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

The center portion of the sight fits the notch except for the edges.

I hear that for the CCW classes they want an inside the belt style holster so might need to get another just for the class.

I'm dying to wear a shoulder rig (when off duty or out of uniform) with a full frame 1911 like I had in my USMC days.

It felt, natural, or correct you could say.

Bet it's not too comfy in the summer though when the humidity spikes in the high 90's.

5. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

Yep, this morning I pulled the front sight and ground the shoulders down like a regular sight and it now fits the holster like you would expect it to.

Sig Sauer really screwed up on that one!

Sig is not the most expensive, but it's not the cheapest brand out there either.

There are many gun manufacturers out there that sell more gun for the $ame or le$$, so I would expect more from them.

Any CAD program would have shown interfearance issues in the final assembly.

No verification of proper function with associated accessories, or quality checks, just slap it on and sell it?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. zeke4351

zeke4351 Member

I would have thrown the holster away or grooved the plastic before grinding on the gun. I got the same problem but it is a cheap junk holster to start with that will wear the finish off the gun so I just threw it to the side.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I took a look at mine and the front sight does not look like that. Mine has a very slight edge and does not have a holster problem. I am wondering if they put in the correct front sight.

8. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

If the dovetail were a lot deeper into the slide it would have been level and fit.

9. indy36

indy36 New Member

Hmm...I was curious so I went a got mine and the little factory plastic holster I never use. My front sight never touches the groove in the holster.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391287888.057374.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391287907.847156.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391287928.466208.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391287947.958288.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391287966.828644.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391287986.041663.jpg

10. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

Well, that is how my sight looks now that I ground it.
    You do not have the same sight I have.
    Mine has that green fiberoptic tube runnung back.

Place a ledge so that it cuts into the holster at the 90 degree bend where the sight and slide meet, and it will be what mine was like.

11. indy36

indy36 New Member

The sights on my gun are the factory night sights that come on the gun. I believe they are called SIGLITE night sights. If you have something like below, well, not factory, thus not made to fit in factory holsters. Anything other than SIGLITEs probably won't work in that cheap plastic holster. Is your gun brand new? If not, it is possible someone put aftermarket sights on it and thus, not Sigs fault at all.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391292841.561367.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

Mine has that exact front sight but the rear just has 2 white glow in the dark dots, no tubes like the front.

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

And there you go. Someone put a Hi-Viz sight on the front of your gun. It sure wasn't Sig so it isn't their fault some other company's product is wider, rendering a tight squeeze in their holster that wasn't designed for that company's product. Sig accepts your apology.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

Then they must have copied and altered the SIG documentation and manual as it clearly shows this exact confiuration for the P238 Sport!:eek:

It is a SIG front sight and was included with this model from the factory.
    Google the P238 Sport for pictures and you will not only see it, but the little shoulders I had to grind off as well.

The pointer is rather small but it points to the shoulder.

There are a lot of photos on the internet, but most are fuzzy.
    Here are just a few that show the shoulder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  15. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

My 238 Equinox came with the same front site. I've never messed with the stock holster before, so I pulled it out just to check, and yeah, does the same thing as yours.

16. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

When my Daughter purchased it she tried to fit it in the holster and it would not fit.
    I told her it was just the adjustment, but she was right.

I just used a brass punch (a piece of brass rod I had left over) and removed the front sight (to the left to loosen, to the right to tighten).
    I assume they were designed to start easier from the left side as it always is.

When the sight is removed it feels safer to "modify" without fear of causing damage to the slide.

It is not a pretty mod, but if you don't look for it, you might not notice it.;)

17. Fruecrue

Fruecrue New Member

Great pics Indy. My wife's has no clearance issues with the factory holster, and the sight does not look like the OP's. Can't believe that gun got through quality control like that. Is there any possibility that someone altered it before you or your daughter acquired it?

Edit; OOPS, appears that I'm a little late to the party and should have read the entire thread before posting...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  18. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

Nope, it's the stock sight and she purchased it new in the case.

I see it in every picture of this exact "P-238 Sport" model.

Look at the pictures I posten and it is clearly seen.

19. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

I have a p238 and i had a leather holster made for it by a guy around here. As i understand he does alot of different projects both local and abroad. Heres his contact info

Rick Garcia RG LEATHER

734-790-0225

email: rick48@bex.net