p238 for my wifes first gun?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by rayssrr, Mar 9, 2012.

1. rayssrr

rayssrr New Member

Hey everybody, I have been doing alot of research to find a good gun for my wife. She is a little shy of handling guns herself so I am trying to find something to break her in. I have a 1911 and I really like the looks of the p238, but not sure about the small caliber 380 for self defence.

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Despite what many may say, I believe the .380 can be a viable defense round with the correct ammo. At the same time, .380 pistols are normally pretty small. If she can handle a larger/heavier pistol, she may be able to go to a 9mm without a lot more recoil & the idea is to have the largest caliber you can safely & comfortably shoot. The best test is for her to be able to shoot various weapons/calibers to see what she likes. Do you have a range nearby that rents pistols?

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Sig P238 is a very fine little gun. Light, fast, accurate and easy to shoot unlike most of the mouse guns. Comes with night sights. Accuracy and speed count more than size. She has to be confident she can hit her target and not be worrying about recoil or she will miss. Whatever SHE chooses, dont get her too much gun.

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Take her to the range and rent a .22 to start, just to get her to try it. Then let her decide what she wants to try next, advising her as you go.
    Letting her buy what she is comfortable with beats you getting what you think is a reliable sidearm, then her leaving it home all the time because she just doesn't like it/is scared of it.
    While getting her protection is important, take a bit of time, and get her comfortable with it. Last thing you want is her thinking it was your decision, and not hers.
    Caliber isn't as important as her being willing to use and carry it.
    Hope you're just buying her something to make her purse heavier!

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have great interest in this thread as I am seriously considering buying a P238. I have looked at several different smaller guns and the P238 was the one I liked best. I looked at the Ruger LC9, the LCP (which I also liked), the Bersa Thunder, the Kahr P380 and Kel Tec P-3AT and the Ruger LCR.

6. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

The best for the little women is a 4" .357 revolver and put .38 specials in it. Most women will understand the way a revolver works better than a semiauto. They loose faith when it jambs or stove pipes. It is simple to load and shoot with no complicated buttons all over the place. And then after she has mastered the revolver let her play with the semiauto.

7. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

If you have several guns, maybe she could shoot some of them to get a feel for it. Especially good would be a revolver that is easy on recoil, with light target loads. Then let her try the most dependable semiauto you have, that minimizes the likelihood of FTF or jam. (The revolver probably shouldn't be your .500 magnum BFR with the 10-inch barrel, though.) :)

8. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

My wife has one and loves it. She's at the range with it every time I am. It's a great small gun.

image-619564112.jpg

play the victim, be the victim

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

My girlfriend has one n loves it! Low recoil ez to shoot, now I have to say I think it's a must to get the 7rd mag it give just a lil more to grab on to.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Give me a break! ;) I have a revolver and a semi-auto. I know how to clear jams and what to do if it stovepipes. The buttons aren't that "complicated", either, nor are they "all over the place". A woman can use a semi-auto just as confidently and efficiently as a man. I'm a little insulted you think a woman can't figure out how to use a semi-auto. :mad:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  11. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

ROFL, Gloria Allred is gonna love this one! You might as well said women are too stupid for a semi. auto. Give them a revolver and hope they don't shoot themselves. LOL

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Oooooh, the mystic confusion that accompanies a semi-auto is sure to baffle anyone with lipstick. My sarcasm is obvious, I hope.

My wife chose a snubbie 38spl (S&W 642), but she is more than capable with a semi. I'm not sure I would suggest a P238, though, unless she is someone who really likes shooting and is willing to practice with an external thumb safety. The action of snicking off the safety as one extends the gun to fire must be ingrained and absolutely unconscious. And practicing with a .380acp can be expensive.

13. JTJ

Well said Windy. You should have used this.:p My wife and my daughter can handle a semi. So could my mother when she was alive.

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Whatever you do, don't TEACH HER that she should be unable to handle a semiauto. That would put a block in her mind that would guarantee that she can't. Just treat the semiauto like any other simple tool, let her practice while you give her a little positive input. Maybe show her some articles about Julie Goloski winning big-time championships with semiauto's.

15. sdcromer

sdcromer New Member

I have and carry a P238 and it is a great 380. My wife shoots autos but prefers her SP101 revolver chambered in 32 H&R Magnum. She says "If I have to defend myself I just want to be able to point, aim, and pull without having to worry about disengaging a safety...." I think she gets it :)

I will echo the sentiment of letting her pick it out.

16. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got a P238 Blackwood for CC and love it. Throw some Ranger Talons in there!

17. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Give you a break, why, because you are so emotional ? My comment is simple, most women don't care how the gun works. They want to have confidence quickly and not waste time learning about every little function on a semiauto. They could figure it out but they just don't care. The revolver is just simple, put the bullets in here and pull the trigger, done. Men want to play with everything they get there hands on. This is just a blanket statement and is based on percentage, not everyone. I see guys with their wives at the range all the time and I get many of the wives asking me if I brought my 10 shot 4" barrel smith revolver today. They all like it and want to shoot it, I take it every time I go to the range because it fits well for every new shooter.

I think this is a good comment, thanks

18. JTJ

There are plenty of point and shoot semi's out there like Glock and Springfield XD.

19. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I can't believe you put Winds on blast like that! dude countries like saudi arabia and others of like are cheering for you right now. lol
    Im just waiting for the "keep em in the kitchen" blast to come next. lol

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

your so off base its not even funny.

my wife hates revolvers she says they are too hard to load. she has three semi auto pistols all of which she picked. Desert Eagle 50AE, xdm 9mm, bersa thunder.

in fact here is her cranking off a few rounds with her Desert Eagle. i think she understand semi autos pretty well... there are damn few people who handle that heavy recoil heavy torque handgun like she does. if you dont grip it and control it it will jam or spit brass in your face

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYOkb6GHpxI[/ame]