P229 Case Extraction Problem

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by buckhorn_cortez, May 21, 2014.

1. buckhorn_cortez

buckhorn_cortez Member

I am having a problem with Armscor 124 grain ammunition in my P229. An empty case will intermittently not be extracted from the barrel.

I have tried Federal, Winchester, Herter's, PMC, Prvi Partizan, and Sellier & Bellot - all work fine. The ammunition has been in a variety of bullet weights: 115, 124, and 147 grain and the gun has no problem.

The Armscor ammunition will function fine in a Springfield XDm 5.25, but not in the SIG.

I have 8 magazines and the problem happens with all of the magazines so it cannot be a magazine feed problem.

The only thing I've been able to find by examining a case that has not been extracted, is the base of the case is 0.0015 inches larger diameter than cases from the other manufacturers.

Since the pistol works fine with every other manufacturer's products, I'm not sure whether I should contact SIG about this or just not shoot the Armscor ammunition.

Thoughts or comments?

2. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

dont use that ammo in that gun....

you can contact sig talking is always free. they have decent cs, not steller but decent

1stnamebassist likes this.

3. sigman84

sigman84 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go with don't use that ammo as well.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree that other ammo should be used.

Find what works best and stick with it.

5. RONWIL

RONWIL New Member

Using or not using a particular ammunition in a given gun seems to be an ongoing story across the whole range of our hobby. Find what works and go with that.

6. GerryR

GerryR New Member

Try going to an extra-power recoil spring; Wolff has spring packs for this purpose. If the Armscor ammo is "hotter" than the other mfg's ammo, then lock time may not be quite long enough for the pressure to drop, making it harder for extraction. Sigs tend to be "under-sprung" to allow for proper functioning with most types of ammo. I have successfully used .40 and .357 Sig recoil springs in 9 mm pistols without issue, so that might tell you something about how they are under-sprung. If the brass from the ammo that works is being thrown more than 6 feet (my rule-of-thumb), you can go to a heavier recoil spring.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The main purpose of the recoil spring is to return the slide to battery.
    Yes, it works with the main (hammer) spring to slow things down a tad.

How is extraction and ejection of Winchester white box? If the cases land at your feet, then too much recoil spring, if the cases go to the next county, then too little (or weak) spring.

8. GerryR

GerryR New Member

I realized when I posted that this was an old thread, but I see this as a recurring problem in my shop all the time. I have replaced many extractors because of broken hooks due to weak recoil springs, so I thought it worth while to raise the subject again.

Many people go to a reduced power main (hammer) spring to lighten the DA trigger pull, not realizing they are affecting lock time and "straining" the extractor. Going to an extra-power recoil spring compensates for this. The highest power recoil spring that gives consistent extraction and ejection also prevents the slide from battering the frame.