P226 vs P89

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by kimbermylove, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kimbermylove

kimbermylove New Member

P225 vs P89

So it is time for me to get another semi-auto. The XD9 is too light and so I enjoy my Kimber a lot more. That being said...I'm looking for a non-polymer semi auto. My choices are between the Sig Sauer P225 and the Ruger P89. I've read a lot a good reviews on both and they're both under $400. Any recomendations?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned both and both are fine guns. You mention a 226 in the title and a 225 in the post - very different guns - so which is it?

If you intend to stay awhile, drop into the introductions area and do us the honors...

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You can find a Sig for under $400? It must be used. The Sig is a single stack compact that is a very nice concealable pistol. Sigs are known for their accuracy and reliability.

The P-89 is a double stack. It is not nearly as compact. It will be thicker and larger in almost every respect. The slide is investment cast and consequently bulkier than the Sig. WTS, the Ruger is a good gun. In my experience they are very accurate and reliable.

Comparing the two is kind of like comparing a Ford F-150 to a BMW Z-4. They will both get you from point A to point B. The F-150 will just carry more cargo (ammo).

If you are OK with 8+1, Go with the Sig.

4. kimbermylove

kimbermylove New Member

I'm sorry, I meant the P225, the German police gun that they only import now. Thanks for noticing!!

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ok, Robo hit the nail on the head then. Also, just for correctness, it's not a P225 you're talking about - it's a P6. The P225 was the commercial variant and quite a bit more "polished" and pricey - I've had both a P225 and a P6. A drawback to the P6 is the mags can be hard to find and quite pricey. You can get Pro-mags for it - but they're junk...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  6. Westy

Westy New Member

If your considering the Ruger P89, you might want to have a look at the Ruger SR9.

7. kimbermylove

kimbermylove New Member

Thanks but I'm looking to get away from the poly plasticness...:)

8. kimbermylove

kimbermylove New Member

Here are some pics. NGIB is right, it is the P6, the P225 is the U.S. version and the P6 IS hard to find parts for...but I've read so many good stuff about it!!

Attached Files:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

No comparison between Sig and Ruger in semi-autos, IMO, and I've owned both.

Sig.

10. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

That's comparing a Porsche to a Yugo......Go SIG...you won't need spare parts.

11. kdog

kdog Member

Sig ist a very good gun.
    I`ve shot the duty P6 from a fellow at the range a few times, who is with the german police.

Although I have small hands and therefor like tinner grips, the Sig`s grip is to small I find.
    If you go for a Sig, try to find a 220, 226 or 228.
    Due to the light Metal frame, most of the Sig`s are light for carry in CCW.

Ruger I have never tried, but if you are looking for something around $ 400,-, why not go for a CZ75, in what version ever. Very reliable pistols. They all have samll grips and double row Mags.
    They are accurate and very durable. Spare parts are no problem, aswell as lots of tuning parts.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have a 75b and love it...but it'd be a bit heavy for a carry piece. And since the OP poster doesn't want a poly gun, about the only CZ that might fit would be an alloy framed 2075 RAMI.

13. group17

group17 New Member

[​IMG]
    Try a Stoeger cougar 8000. NIB for under $400. Originally a Beretta cougar 8000. Stoeger a subsidiary of Beretta is now making them from the same tooling at a discount price. All metal Great gun.

14. Westy

Westy New Member

Excellent suggestion! I have two Beretta Cougars, one 9mm & 1 .45 ACP and there both great guns !

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have had both a Sig P226 & P229 and the Ruger P89 & P95. When it comes down to it I would have to go with the Sig. Her lines are smooth and very few sharp edges. Ruger is a good hand gun but she is very blocky.

Right now J&G is have a sale on LEO trade in Sig P226's for $400-$450. They are used but if you have ever looked at a police trade in some if not all are in very good shape. For that price I might have to purchase 2.

16. tacman605

tacman605 New Member

I own a P6 and have no problems with it. Just bought three more mags from J&G sales yeah pricey but worth it. This gun is my wifes carry gun and have never had an issue or doubt about it.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

well dunno about that. ive probably put nearly 30k rounds through my sig P220 .45acp over the last 20 years. this year i finally had to buy a spring kit as the disconecter spring finally broke...

18. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I gave up counting how many rounds I have put through my P220 about 5yrs ago. But if after 30k and all I have to do is replace some springs I would were very HAPPY :D with that. You could not ask for more.

19. Wambli

Wambli Member

So far I've bought two P6s. The German guns have worn finishes etc. but mechanically they are very sound. I've probably taken apart/inspected 20 or so of them. All of them in good condition with no excesive wear. If you have a few $$$ laying around you can send it to SIG and for $200 they will make it factory new for you (refinish, new springs, new sights etc). The triggers on them are REALLY heavy but aftermarket springs will take care of that quickly and cheap.

The two I bought I cleaned up and refinished the slides. Both have been great shooters (like al SIGs) and 100% reliable. I resold both to friends that needed good basic SD handguns for what I paid for them and they are in love with them.

Last I checked Brownells was selling new factory grips for them for about $14 a set but that was months ago. They might be out by now.

I like the single stack because they make the SIG a nice compact carry gun. Here is a side by side comparison with one of my Kahrs (K9)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  20. kdog

kdog Member

Just a bit of advice from me.

If you guys are interested in originak Sig Sauer P6 and can get them. Then do so now.

The german police (Bundespolizei=State Police) are just in the process of getting approx. 30.000 new side arms. They are getting the HK P30.

After this school shooting in marchthis year, the gun laws have been hardend again and everybody is all up tight in having no former duty firearms onthe market. Not national or international.
    30.000 Sig Sauer P6 pistols will be shredderd and melted down to scrap.

That means, if you have one, keep it, if you want one, buy it now, because there will not be anymore in the future.