P226 Takedown lever

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by NewGunz, Jul 15, 2011.

1. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

My P226's takedown lever is getting harder and harder to move every time I go to clean and lube the gun. I've tried spraying lube in there on both sides and when the gun is field-stripped and it doesn't help... Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is the mag removed?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly needs a good cleaning. a decent gunsmithing can detail strip it for you and clean it up if your not able to yourself. my P220 had this occur a few times and was just grime from thousands of rounds mixed with old oil.

4. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Yes, the mag is out. I wish it was that easy, haha. I mean, I just got it field-stripped but I had to push HARD. Way harder than before. Yeah, I'll try taking it to a gunsmith... How much does an exam/clean-up usually cost? I've never had to go to a gunsmith before.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on the smith. i do 99% of all my own maintenance so i havent a clue

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Clean it first.

No sense paying $70/hr for someone to clean your gun!

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

unfortunately the P226 is a little harder to strip down far enough to get the takedown out than the P220. one reason i sold my 226. mainly its due the smaller frame harder to work in.

its not terribly difficult the blow up diagram is sufficient for disassembly and reassmbly. worst case you gotta do the walk of shame with a brown bag of parts to the local smith