p226 dark elite

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by niteglock, Oct 16, 2012.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I have some questions. I currently own a 226 Dark elite CPO and I'm wondering if it is me or the gun. I know. Everyone is going to say the shooter. But I'm having issues with grouping and shot placement. I've shot glocks, hk, cz, sa, Ruger, and so on and this really never happened. I'm constantly placing my shots low and left. I know I can adjust my sight to adjust the horizontal placement. But not the vertical. I replaced the adjustable sights with sig factory night sights 8/8 and all shots are constantly low if I line up sights but go straight if I aim sights in a pyramid fashion but I don't like that at all. Hard to get used to. I'm used to combat sight because I use it with my hk usp 45 and I'm great with it. Also the barrel has alot of play in it when the slide is back. I mean alot. More than any.other gun I've owned. And the slide rattles alot if I shake it and I can also rock it slightly. And when the slide is locked back I can move the recoil rod around in a clockwise movent alot. The trigger also has alot of side to side play too. Kind of annoying and it feels so gritty when I engage it from double action. Is it just me or is this gun a lost cause? I'm seriously considering trading it for something else but can't make up my mind. G19, M&P9, CZ75, FNP9 you know. Those styles of guns. Can someone help me out. Thanks.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No surprise things rattle when the slide is back. Don't worry about it. You changed the sights. Are you sure they are the same height? Are you sure they are centered? If you're having issues with the trigger its more than possible you're pulling your shots also. Too many variables.

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

How does the pistol perform in another shooter's hands? How does it perform on a bench?

I'm a left handed shooter as is my sister, we both shoot P229r's and notice similar results but for a lefty, meaning our shots land low/right. However, we shot yesterday with a good friend that's a retired LEO, and he shot all of our SIGs and the P229s were SPOT ON in his hands. A lot has to do with the shooter, when you pull the trigger, check to see if your finger is dragging against the inside of the trigger guard. Also, check out the attached chart, this may help you out, before you go changing the front blade...

Attached Files:

4. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I have two Sigs in 226, an Elite and a Navy. Slide forward there is only a slight rattle from the slide moving if you shake the gun hard. The barrel does not move nor does the guide rod. Slide back and shaking causes more rattles. Slide back, the barrel will move some as will the guide rod. My trigger does not move in any direction except front to rear. My advice, don't listen to anyone else, just call Sig. I expect they will want the gun back for a little factory TLC.

5. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I have called sig and they said to send it in if I feel somethings wrong but if they fire a test round through it and it hits and does not malfunction then I have to pay shipping both ways and ammo cost and if they had to adjust the sights I would have to pay for that also. I couldn't believe that they said that to me. With my G21 when I called glock they just sent me new parts on good principal and didn't ask a question. I gave up after that. Even when I told sig my adjustable sights were constantly coming loose they wanted me to pay for shipping so they can check them out. But eventually they sent me the tiny tiny Allen wrenches I needed to tighten them that no hardware store in the world sells. I was very dissapointed with sigs quality control.

6. niteglock

niteglock New Member

The first two pics show how much play is in the recoil rod. You can see how far down it sits and how high it can move easily. The second set is how much the barrel moves in and out of the slide when locked back and the third set of pics shows the sights lined up when it shoots very low and the pyramid sight picture when the gun shoots on target.

Attached Files:

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Who replaced the sights for you? And at what distance are you shooting?

8. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I just checked out the pics and the first two sets don't really show how much the parts move as good as I wanted. But trust me they do. No other gun ever had a recoil rod that was that moveable. Or a barrel that you can move around, in and out, and twist it in between your fingers. But the sight picture is a good example.

9. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I did the sights myself with a friend that has done all of his own with his sight tool. They are on just fine but I'm thinking I should have a higher rear sight. Sig insisted that these were the right sights for the gun though.

10. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Any distance it just shoots low constantly. I can't figure it out. When the adjustable sights were on it shot fine. But I hated how large they were and they always came loose. I'm starting to think its just this dark elite model.

11. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I know this thread is a little old but I have a little experience with Sig Sauer's complaint department.Number one the guy on the phone it's his job to debunk some ones attempt to get over on them it is a business.Number two do what I did have somones else shoot you're gun,I had a rang officer friend of mine shoot mine,if you end up with the same results it needs to go back.What happened to me was that they put the wrong rear sight on my pistol from the factory.If you check out their listing of sights you will find that they make several different sizes.They will take care of you if it is a problem that came straight from the factory.

12. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I tried their department and they said I would have to pay for shipping and the sights. So they shipped me 8-8 sights and it was still low. Very low. I asked if they made higher rears or lower front and they said no for that model. All's well, I traded it for a m&p9 brand new. That gun shoots like a champ. I love it. Will never look back. Sigs r just prettier. Still love sig and wouldn't hesitate to buy another but at that price range, I'm going with my AR.

13. PCHS4

PCHS4 New Member

It is not possible to use #8/#8 sights with the Elite Dark (P226 or P220)- I have both of these. Using a surface plate and height gauge I have made measurements on several Sig models. The reason is that the rear dovetail is cut lower than on most other Sig models. The best match/solution I have come up with is to use a TRUGLO Tritium rear (TG231S1) with a Sig #8 front. The TG rear sight OAH is .275" and 0.162" mounted. The Sig #8 front OAH is 0.220 and 0.140" mounted. This gives a rear-to-front difference of 0.022." You need this value to get a combat sight alignment for POI.

14. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

When I purchased my Sig P226 mk 25, my first groups were low...see attached pic. After thinking about it and reading, I think that weapon is a combat weapon and it is intended that the white dot on the front sight be placed over/cover the target...when I did that, my groups went where they were supposed to go.

may or may not be the problem you are experiencing, but that was my conclusion with my Sig

Attached Files:

15. PCHS4

PCHS4 New Member

The problem I am having is that I don't like the adjustable rear sight that comes with the Elite Dark P226 and choose to get rid of it - it's a piece of junk. When I called Sig they said to replace them with Sig #8/#8 front/rear - This is just bad information. Surface plate/height gauge measurements confirm the rear sight is low by 0.015" and will shoot low. Not to mention that the rear sight notch is barely above the slide. It is necessary to find a taller rear sight than the Sig #8 (0.250"). I understand the combat sight picture, and that is not the issue. I seems a lot of people are suggesting to others that they are not using proper sight picture or don't know what they are doing or there is something wrong with the gun. This may indeed be true for some, but I am offering an explanation for those of us that know how to shoot. Most people don't have the measurement equipment that I have (cost is about $1K) and are unable to sort out what is going on. Hope this helps clarify.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The P226 is a fantastic gun. Generally, most accuracy issues would be about the shooter rather than the gun in the case a P226. But that doesn't mean this is the case here. Even great platforms fall a bit short at times.

I had a P226 for a couple years. Had no complaints about the gun, other than it simply wasn't so great in my hands. And other guns perform pretty well for me (CZ 75, BHP, 1911, XDm, Ruger rimfires...even...gulp, the Glock). Personally, I believe the overall quality of my Sig was equal to or better than most of my other guns. But it simply wasn't a great fit for me, so I sold it.

Pistols are like a pair of shoes. Personal fit is everything, and there's rarely such thing as 'one size/style fits all'.

17. PCHS4

PCHS4 New Member

I agree that Sigs are fantastic guns. I have four of them and really love them. I didn't always feel that way. At first, I found they were more difficult to shoot than my 1911 or XD. The DA tends to magnify the shooters improper technique more so than other pistols. I found out about some bad habits I had by going to some multi-day training sessions in Nevada. Things I needed work on were isometric tension, grip, trigger finger placement and articulation, etc. Through regular dry practice training at home I was able to dramatically improve my technique and consistency. Another thing that helps is getting some action cleanup work done - the factory trigger is not so good.

If you are a skier this will make sense. An expert pair of skis will not make me an expert skier. In fact it will be the opposite, I will ski much worse because the equipment far exceeds my skill level and is less forgiving. Regular training and practice is the key.

For one that does not shoot and practice much, stay away from Sigs and get a Glock. There will be much more enjoyment and less frustration. And you can buy 2 Glocks for the price of 1 Sig.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014