p220 or usp?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by austin296, Nov 1, 2011.

1. austin296

austin296 New Member

I currently have 2 handguns, a sig p238 for concealed carry, and a tokarev just for fun. I am looking into getting a new handgun, preferably a 45.

I have about 800 in credit at a gun shop and i am thinking about either a sig p220 or a HK USP tactical.

I LOVE my sig its just kinda tiny... great for my girlfriend and my pocket, but not so great for just going to the range and having some fun...

i am interested in getting a handgun that has a threaded barrel because pretty soon i will be setting up an NFA gun trust for a suppressor. ( my parenta have 20 acres that i go shoot at sometimes and it will be nice not having to announce to everyone within 5 miles that i am shooting, the neighbors complain...)

any input or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks,

-Austin

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Threaded barrels are avalaible for the 220. But feel is personal. I had a usp at one point actually traded it for the p220. Handle both see what feels better.

They are both good reliable guns.

3. Austin1

Austin1 New Member

220 sig is an amazing gun

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Handle both and see which feels better. Both are excellent guns.

Between the two, my choice would be the P220 every time. Last summer I almost bought a SS P220 SAS for $800, like this:

[​IMG]

5. austin296

austin296 New Member

I went to a range yesterday and i rented the closest thing to a USP they had, a mark 23. I think ill probably lean towards the sig. I like the feel of metal instead of plastic

6. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have had a Sig P220 for about 15yrs now and I love it. I like the H&K Mark 23 but I perfer my Sig, I like the Sig line so much I have damn near all of there pistols except for the P-210 and the new P-238. Yet.

7. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I vote for the 220 but that is a personal preference.

8. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Had very good luck with the 220. If votes aye or nay matter - aye on the Sig.

9. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Yeah I have a feeling everyone will go sig. It's not that the hk isn't a good gun, the sig just does everything the usp does but a bit better ( in my opinion).

10. waggonermatt

waggonermatt New Member

I own both and can't say enough about both I personally feel the HK is a little more durable and holds tighter groups but you won't be disappointed with whatever one you choose

11. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I bought a P220 used about 12 years ago and it has been nothing but sweet ever since. It had a lot of holster wear on it at the time so it must have been some LEO's carry weapon since CCW was still a pipe dream back then. I've put about 15,000 rounds through it and it's still going strong. Mine is very accurate and has been since day one. It's built like a tank too but not so that it shows up as too much weight. Mine has the aluminum frame from the "Made In W. Germany" models. It really is a great pistol.

12. 75370

75370 New Member

I also own several of both.
    The H&K is more accurate, and can be carried cocked and locked such as a 1911 type pistol.

13. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I've never got to shoot the HK model mentioned. Can you give us an idea what kind of groups it does shoot? I'm not knocking you here. I'm just curious cause my Sig shoots mighty accurate. But like I said I've never shot that HK. I have shot other models. They were pretty accurate but not as accurate as my Sig. But that was about 12 years ago when I first got my Sig and I went to the range with the owner of the LGS where I bought it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  14. waggonermatt

waggonermatt New Member

I can literally take a full mag and stack the rounds on top of each other to where it looks like one giant hole

15. 75370

75370 New Member

Well I have a full size .45 USP, and an Elite.45, I don't think you're looking for the Elite.
    It doesn't matter much, both shoot as accurately as I'm able to fire a handgun.
    Which is one ragged hole if I'm having a good day.
    Your results may vary, I'm a Double Distg. shooter,(not trying to blow my own horn.)