P220 or USP .45?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by HighSpeed, Feb 4, 2011.

1. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Looking for another .45 to supplement my collection... I have little experience with both of these brands, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have been able to fire both, but right now it's a toss up as to which I like better.

Which would YOU choose?

I don't plan on using it for daily carry, although I'm sure it will make its way into one of my holsters at some point. I will probably use it for IDPA and possibly for a 3 gun.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Having owned a USP Tactical, and owning a Sig, I would pick the P220 over the USP if the decision were mine.

JD

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned both as well and I bought a P220 ST today - so I guess that's my answer...

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Heck, Just get both.:)

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive had both bought within 3 months of each other bout 20 years ago. i still got the sig p220 will never sell it. sold the usp within a year. i found it to clunky and clumsy and to heavy. for competition i would go 1911. the manual safety with the superb trigger is almost cheating.

6. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Kind of off topic, but has anyone owned or shot the HK 45? Just wondering how it compares to the USP.

I like the feel of both, but the Sig is just a little more wallet friendly.

@JonM, I have a few 1911s that I've used for competition, I just like the .45 caliber and wanted a little diversity in my collection. (Can't really beat them in terms of feel, ease, etc.) Mostly my 1911s stay in the safe, though. One was inherited from my Dad, a Colt Commander Model, and the other is a really pretty Les Baer. I thought about getting another 1911 for my competition gun, but I just can't fight the urge to go with something a little different this time. (My collection consists of a ton of Glocks, the aforementioned 1911s, some rifles, shotguns, and a S&W .22 revolver. I think the Sig would be a nice touch of variety)

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahhh then your gonna like the 220 a lot. if i couldnt have a 1911 it would be the 220as my main gun. accuracy is superb.

8. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

The Sig hands down...probably my favorite .45

9. doose

doose New Member

I bought a P220 back in 1995 and have never looked back. Awesome .45 and I hope I never have to part with it. I only wish factory mags were more affordable and plentiful. You will NOT be sorry with the Sig.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  11. Swiftyjuan

Swiftyjuan New Member

I have both; Sig is better. The HK is great, but the Sig is better.

12. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

After reading all of these replies, I think I will be putting a deposit on a slightly used P220. $700 with 2 mags. Is that a good price? I can probably get another $25 knocked off for a LE discount, but I think that'd be pushing it.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Really depends where you are and how the Sig is configured. I just payed less than that for a used P220 stainless...

14. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

This.

Impact guns have them from $750 to $1,250 depending on configuration.
    SigArms P220 Pistols at Impact Guns Home

15. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

Cleveland. It's a plain jane P220 in black. Should I try to go lower? It does have night sights, though.

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As long as it's a "blue box" with night sights and is VERY clean - that's an OK price. If it's a "red box" (Sig sells CPO, certified pre-owned in red boxes) - it's high. I buy most of mine in private sales or trades so it's hard to gauge exactly...

18. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  19. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I own both SIG and HK, but of those two I'd go with the SIG. It is a fit thing for me. It feels better in my hands, but I do love my HKs!

Either way you win. I actually want a USP .45 Tactical Compact myself.

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I picked up my used Sig P220 ST today. Paid a tad over $700 out the door and I'm very happy. It's much heavier than a regular alloy P220 but it's not going to be a carry gun anyway...

[​IMG]