P.O.R.15 for a gun finish?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Davejs, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Davejs

Davejs New Member

I have used POR15 for automotive applications and have been astounded by how well it resists scratches and damage. I once had painted a part and decided to sandblast the part to remove the run a week later. I needed to torch the paint to sandblast it off.
    Now I have an old 22rimfire and was wondering if anyone had attempted to use this product on a firearm?

Your thought on this?

2. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

Ive thought about this as well. Itd be interesting to see. If you end up doing it please post your results. :)

3. Davejs

Davejs New Member

I was told it may chip off if not prepped correctly.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

As will anything you use that is painted, ceracoated, duracoated. The finish is only as good as the prep on anything you paint

5. jpfgriz45mag

jpfgriz45mag New Member

The only problem with p o r 15 is that it is very thick out of the can , if you reduce it you lose a lot of its bite it is an air dry coating . .
    I would say good automotive paint, base coat clear coat , you can get diff clears from flat to high gloss. And it is a catalyzed product , very durable ,drys fast .
    Then there are primers for over metal or adhesion promoters for plastic and carbon fiber. Hope that helps

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. Davejs

Davejs New Member

I still have time to try this and other things, even the idea of a rust brown blueing has had merits.

BTW Purehavoc love the avatar