+p(+) for last round in the mag ?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Tailypoe, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

i'm curious ... Does anyone here ever pack a really hot round in first for semi auto sd use, considering that the recoil won't be a tactical factor ?? it seems like common sense to me, but everybody i talk to doesn't want to " mix ammunition " ... If your gun runs consistently with hot ammo, it shouldn't be a problem .. so why don't more people do this ?? I know if I had +p+ hollow points i'd be using them as much as i could because i've seen the ballistics sheets for some of those 9mm loads and WOW ... just wow ...
    I could understand if you had a hi - point or something not quite so modern, but most guns these days are rated for +p, even pocket guns ...
    so what are your reasons for not doing this ? have any of y;all ever tried it ??

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

May I suggest that you try that setup on the range first.
    The idea of keeping the same ammo is that your firearm is sighted in for round "A".

Put it to the test and you will find that velocity will affect the POI (if your POA is the same everytime).

IMO, trying to "guess" where the impact is going to be adds an unnecessay decision should you need to use the firearm.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

All of my rounds are 127 gr +p+ Rangers. Even in the lc9

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Hummm, I gotta go to the range and try this out:)

Not really but it does give me another excuse to get my gun dirty:D

I tried different brands and loads to see "if" when I started running low on ammo and had to mix my rounds up, what would my gun do?
    Everything ran fine but there was little difference in loads, mainly different brands, some ball and some JHP.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

why would you not use +P rounds for SD?... my entire stack is.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I use +P in all my CC or home pistols. Why not if its designed to handel them. Why only last round.

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I don't see the point in 1 round of +p+ or +p then standard ammo. Keep it all the same IF you have the option. You won't care about "tactical" if you have to pull that trigger IMHO.

8. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

I've always shot WWB all my life and anything more snappy is gonna throw me off ... you can get a .40 kick from a 9mm with home loads if you're pushing it ...
    when i'm thinking about sd, I'm thinking inside 25 feet .. accuracy doesn't really matter, unless they have some kind of ballistic vest on : )

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not understanding ---Why ONE :confused:
    Fill your mag with what you use-----------

10. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

because with major semi auto rounds the recoil wouldn't matter on the last shot unless you have delicate hands so you could pump up the pressure on the last round without worrying about follow up .. genius :D ..

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I'm thinking, if you have to shoot to save your life.... Your not going to notice recoil or even care at that point. It's to each his own though. I carry same ammo in whole mag.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

QFT, if you ever have to use your firearm in a high stress situation you arent gonna feel the recoil,most of the time you wont even remember how many rounds you fired.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Knowing the POI vs POA is important.

I've lost a stage in competition with a new handgun and new ammo (my regular went belly up and had to time to practice).

Every round I fired had a POI approx 5" lower than POA at 20 yards. That is enough that "cover" could stop you from hitting the intended target.

14. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I think you're over thinking things. All the round combinations people come up with. I don't see the point beyond finding a round that works for you, then stacking the magazine with those rounds. I don't see the need to mess with all these combinations.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Tailypoe ,, genius !!! Far from it. Do you really think you will hit a BG in a shoot out better than the average Leo can during a shot out?? What makes you think if you get to that last" magic bullet" that you well actually hit your intended target anyhow or if you do that it will make any real difference in the out come. Can we assume you have amid to full sized pistol with 10 to 17 rounds and if you can't place 4 to 7 quality HP rounds on target by then you really think that last one will help. tailypoe, No genius . A single well place standard hp would be better than a panicked +P+ last round but if it makes you feel all warm and cuddly with your +P+ by all means carry it.

16. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

One of my mags is 8 115 gr Hornady Crit Def HPs then 7 115 gr WWB FMJs. I tried it out at the range along with alot of other variations. Ive even alternated HPs with FMJs and not a problem at all.

17. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

No reason at all to alternate ammo in a SD gun. Use a good quality round, make sure it functions 100 percent and practice with it. I carry Black Talons in my Para P-14 for SD. My practice loads are 230gr ball loaded to the same velocity as the Talons. POA and POI are the same with both.

Jim..........

18. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

True, just testing to see if there any problems, functionality of gun, etc.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i don't see any advantage in mixing ammo types. and IMO a possible problem in feeding when mixing. i agree with the others, find one that functions well and then load a full mag of them.

20. gollygee

gollygee New Member

What is the purpose of +P+? Tests I've seen show that +P gives good expansion & penetration. One reason for hollow points is to limit over penetration. If a round exits the body, much of it's energy is wasted. If you make the round more powerful, do you not risk negating that purpose for the hollow point?