p-229 and +p

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by fisher79, Jul 7, 2011.

1. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

Will a stock P220 handle the hornady 230 gr.+p 45 acp round or will I have to swap out recoil springs?

2. Bighead

Bighead New Member

You shouldn't have any problems shooting +P ammo in a stock P220.

3. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have put a couple of thousand rounds through my P220 and P229 and have never had a problem with any of them.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Please guys, listen to the old man. :eek:

First, read this:

Demystifying +P The inside scoop on +P

If use of +P ammo is in question (and it should be for everyone regardless of gun age) for the gun you already own or are thinking about buying, CALL THE MANUFACTURE!

The question should be I have/buying a (fill in the blank: S&W model XX, S/N XXXXXX) and want to know if shooting +P is recommended by (fill in the blank: S&W, Ruger, Colt, Kimber....)? Follow up with; Can I shoot SWC lead reloads?

The answer you get will speak volumes about the company and the gun you are looking at!!! It will also take the liability off the FTF for answers blurted out by kool-aid drinking mark zealots. :eek:

Remember this, +P ammo is designed for archaic cartridges only! If some one is peddling a .40 S&W +P round it's a marketing ploy.

5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I have a stock 220 carry, and it shoots hornady +p 230 gr hp great. That is what carry in it now.