OWB or IWB pros and cons

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by roguestew, May 25, 2012.

1. roguestew

roguestew New Member

I'd like to hear your opinions

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Owb requires more effort to conceal, but can be much more comfortable.

3. levelcross

levelcross New Member

OWB is usually more comfortable but usually harder to conceal, somewhat easier to draw from.

IWB is easier to conceal and with the wrong holster painful, sometimes harder to holster the gun.

Both have their place in my carry needs, both need to be practiced equally. As the object of carrying a firearm is to go home every day to your family.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

Holster and belt selection are always important.

For IWB, holster selection moves from important to critical.

For OWB, it's belt selection that becomes critical.

Plus what the previous posters said.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

All are the best answers I can think of.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

In my case, there was no 'pros' about carrying IWB without buying a bunch of new pants! :eek: Aside from that, two 'cons' of IWB would be ease of drawing when seated & limitation of barrel length, also because I spend a lot of time seated.

7. roguestew

roguestew New Member

Ok for an owb holster. Galco speed scabbard, or blackhawk askins?

8. locnload

locnload New Member

Not having anything visible below the belt is a big plus for concealment. I find that after having found a few good IWB holster selections and getting accustomed to IWB, there is no downside. I would be surprised if there is a measurable difference in draw time and reholstering is as easy as any OWB. In the plus colum for OWB, I love the look of a nice leather holster. I've always wanted to buy a nice custom tooled leather holster, but since its "concealed carry" whats the point of spending all that money on something I can't show off? ;)

9. roguestew

roguestew New Member

10. Thelt

Thelt New Member

If you have a gut and wear your pants under it then IWB is going to be harder. Appendix carry is out and it will probably have to be on the back side of your body to be comfortable. If you wear your pants up higher then it works pretty well.

I like pocket carry best but there are times I want something with more punch and go with either IWB or OWB depending on how much I am concerned about concealment.

11. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I would agree, IWB is easier to conceal but not as comfortable. Whereas IWB is harder to conceal but more comfortable. I have a hard enough time concealing with an IWB and I hate how I have to adjust my pants constantly. I don't know how I would be able to conceal with an OWB.

12. GLOCKMASTER

GLOCKMASTER New Member

I use to have a lot of issues carry IWB until I found N82tactical.com this holster makes a world of difference to me.

Attached Files:

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I either use my OWB Blackhawk serpa or my IWB N82 pro tactical!!! I love them both.

image-1817520187.jpg

14. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

15. phildenton

phildenton New Member

It depends on far too many variables, such as you, your carry piece, your clothes, the weather, and where youre at, for me, my 4" 357, owb in an uncle mikes mirage size 2 works best, since open carry is legal im not overly concerned if i print or show, if concealment is critical i wear a loose fitting polo shirt. But you gotta try to find what works for you.

16. GLOCKMASTER

GLOCKMASTER New Member

Good advice ;)

17. gimpster01

gimpster01 New Member

Owb here.
    Gimpster

18. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

There are very few times I carry OTW. Simply because if I am carrying a firearm I want it to be concealed, until I am FORCED to show it......

19. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Right now I carry IWB uncle mikes holster. Cheap, flimsy, BUT comfortable. Dont think I can pull off OWB unless its winter.

Oo when will my great state of Texas allow open carry!?!?!!! Hey I can dream cant I?

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A good holster and belt and either OWB-IWB will work just fine for most people. I carry both ways depending on the handgun, weather, and clothes. I have a Para LTC I carry IWB and it's just fine. I have an IWB rig for a Gov frame 1911 but usually will carry those in a OWB as most the time I have a full size 1911 I'm target shooting.

Here's a simple truth. 60% of the people that carry a handgun probably have a box or drawer of holsters. I sure do!;) The first thing you really need to do is find a really good belt. It will not matter how good the holster is if your belt is some limp dish rag then any rig will not hang right. A belt made for wearing a holster makes all the difference in the world.
    Some people like the kydex stuff, some it has to be leather (like me!) but neither will work right without the right belt. I have one I bought at Sportsman's Guide several years ago that has been great. But there are better ones out there and most the time when it comes to leather you get what you pay for.

If you do go IWB make sure to get one that actually will hold it's shape when the pistol is not in it. It makes it MUCH easier to re-holster.