Overkill?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Logan636, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Logan636

Logan636 New Member

So my family stopped by last night, some who I haven't seen for a really long time, for one of our big Sunday dinners. A lot of them are gun enthusiast so naturally they wanted to see and examine my new handguns. After everyone left for the night I then proceeded to wipe them down and my brother began to laugh saying that it was total "overkill" for me to wipe down my guns every time they're handled. I politely tried to tell him that the natural oils from our skin and all other corrosive compounds we collect on daily basis from sweating, working ect. can be very harmful to guns themselves. He still said it was excessive. Am I in the wrong here?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't think so. Continue doing as you are.
    Those are your firearms, and you have your ways of protecting them.

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

All depends, is it a quick wipe down, or do you spend hours wiping each one?

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I do the same thing. Nothing wrong with taking care of your possessions.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

How much care is too much?

How much is "just enough"?

You'll think it's "overkill" till you wind up with

a sweat-etched fingerprint in your blued finish.

I wish I could oil my guns daily.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Take care of them as you see fit. Did your brother pay the bucks for them? Doubt it. Don't take care of them at all and let the guns go to hell, or take care of them like you payed the money for them and make em last a lifetime.

I was told by my grandfather there are the top 3 things a man must never do to another man, "sleep with another man's wife, wear another man's hat, or clean another man's gun for him-unless your the one who dirtied it" I consider this to also mean, don't criticize another man's gun cleaning!

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I work in a gunshop fulltime so I handle firearms on a day to day basis, and after we close I always wipe them down to remove oil from peoples' hands. I clean my firearms every weekend whether or not they've been handled. So to answer your question, no it's not overkill.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Overkill? Who cares?
    Your guns, your rules.
    FWIW, my dad was the same way. I'm that way with blued guns. Stainless less so.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i keep a oily rag in my safe to wipe guns down as i put them back. they get handled they get wiped everytime. only exception are what i consider working guns. those that i use for SD purposes but they have finishes designed to resist such handling. the ones that i use for sd that are blued get wiped down. parkerized ones dont need it as much.

but you arent nuts. finger prints from humans are corrosive to guns from extended touching. the ois in our skin repel the salts from our sweat to the outer most surface and those salts get deposited and start corrosion.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Message for your brother-

Yer an asshat_by_thundercake.jpg

Not HIS guns. How would he feel if you critqued him waxing his car?

When someone starts a sentence with "It's none of my business...." it is very tempting to respond with "That's right."

It does not matter if your guns are made of PLATINUM and will never rust or tarnish- they are yours, not his.

Just a stab in the dark here- older brother?

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Is he your younger or older brother? :rolleyes:

I am just as OCD and yes, human skin oils, sweat and salts can eventually cause corrosive damage if not cleaned away eventually.

I don a pair of good golf gloves when I handle any of my handguns, at home or on range and use surgical gloves when cleaning. :cool:

12. Logan636

Logan636 New Member

He's about the same age only a year younger. His reasoning is "if u payed that much for them there is no reason they should rust or corrode." He's an ass lol and its not like I sit with them for hours its just a quick wipe down.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

me too!.. i always give em a quick wipe and am careful after the wipe to only handle certain parts as i return them to there homes.. they are pricey after all

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Really no such thing as overkill wen it comes to keepin other folks greasy fingerprints off my guns :rolleyes:

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

lol thats like buying a ferrari testarosa parking it near the ocean and thinking it will never corrode or rust cuz you paid 125k$ for it heh.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

you know what the oils on your skin will do. How many of us have seen an actual rusty fingerprint on a shotgun barrel in a pawnshop? I know I have, I was able to make out the swirls and whorls.

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No it is not OVER KILL !!!!!!!!

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

No such thing as overkill....

19. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

Yes, I do the same thing

20. nmoyer

nmoyer New Member

I agree with c3shooter. They are your firearms so takecare of them as you choose. Better to be "excessive" then not IMO.