Over under question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by rferguson61, Nov 17, 2011.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Has anyone ever heard of an over under that swings open instead of breaks open? So it pivots on the Y axis as opposed to like all the ones out there that pivot on the X axis.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't think I've ever heard of any break action that operates in that fashion. :confused:

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I've never seen or heard of one.....Doesn't mean sombody never built one though!

4. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I couldn't find one anywhere but I thought I would ask people with more experience. It is now my goal to make one before I die. Question number two: is there any legal issues with me doing said project. If I bought an over under and changed it up that way.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

From a Federal standpoint, it is perfectly legal to build a firearm FOR YOUR OWWN USE. For sale is another matter. It cannot be a short barreled shotgun, etc, without first doing paperwork with the ATF, etc.

There HAVE been shotguns that the barrels rotated to load, swung sideways, slid forward, etc ad infinitum. However, each design had a weakness that became more pronounced with wear, was more expensive to machine, etc.

Just when you think that "Naw, no one ever made that" you do some research, and find that, yep, SOMEONE did that. Was in the NRA National Firearms Museum a week ago, First gun you come to is a double barreled, side by side rifle- that is a BOLT action. Operating the handle operates a double bolt, loads two barrels at once. Double triggers, one ejector throws the empty left, the other throws it right. Wierder than sox on a rooster- but someone made one- and it IS a beautiful rifle.

6. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

That sound really cool! So what do you think a weakness would be for this design?

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sounds like some of the Colt single shot derringer's action. The back of the barrels were rounded where they met the breech(which was rounded to match). Some just had spring loaded extractors and some extractors were linked to the pivot to extract.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

awkwardness. human arms dont naturally work that way. thats why breach loaders break the way they do.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Possible weakness- metal to metal lockup at the pivot point- and how does it cock? Ones I saw from the 1800s were external hammer. The break open uses leverage to reset firing pins. If pins are still extended when you try to swing sideways, drag on the base of shells.

10. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

It would be no different than a side by side with how it closed...?

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I believe there have been some French shotguns made with that type of action. I have seen them advertised in Shooting Sportsman magazine. They are very high end and very expensive.
    cottontop

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Take a side by side, fab a buttstock that is turned 90 degrees and, VOILA!!

13. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I had this idea a couple Weeks ago and was looking fir a cheap sxs...then one HUGE design flaw hit me. Where are the triggers once you turn it sideways. No longer under thr gun, but on the side.

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Not to mention itll break open to the side and not down, in my opinion whats the point in that.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ha...yeah. Good point. Obviously, I spent more time typing that out, than actually thinking about it!! :))

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I think this was covered in the OP's very first sentence. Now, I could be misunderstanding his question I guess?

17. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I want it to break to the side. So you're on the right track with the sxs turned 90. Someone else misunderstood.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I was pretty sure I understood ya...but you never know. Thanks for clearin' it up.

19. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

No problem. Thanks for trying to help. If you come up with any other ideas let me know. Im still kicking around the turning a sxs 90 but trying to Frankenstein an o/u trigger group into it.

20. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Man, just be safe whatever you do. That stuff isn't anything to play around with. I don't know your background...I'm sure you know what you are doing. Just wanted to throw that out there.