Over the top weather reporting

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Feb 9, 2013.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Is it just me? How come every reasonably sized storm is now a "Weather Event"?

The winter storm on the east coast is being reported like it was the great deluge. As far as I know so far, one person died in a car crash. Now, I realize that the loss of even one life is a tragedy, but come on! Yes, there is a power outage. The sometimes happens in a storm.

Is this stupid reporting a way to drum up ratings or have we as a Country become such snivelers and pansies that any large storm is now the dreaded "Big One" or what?

I'm just sayin'.

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I agree if I recall this is probably considered a light snowfall for the Buffalo area.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

It's no fun to drive in unless your by yourself and no ones around. Hehe. But up here near buffalo it wasn't bad really. Just a normal snow storm about a foot of snow

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its a catastrophe!!!! Its gonna be in the 30's here... :eek: (We were getting back up to the 70's-80's.... :( )

5. CA357

Now that's not nice. ;)

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It isnt..... I was hoping to get my garden started this week, but now their saying were gonna have at least a week of freezing temps.

I just planted two trees im gonna have to make covers for now... :(

7. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

it has to be reported huge so the state will get relief funding and so insurance co.'s can allow or disallow claims.
    if its reported as mild, clients cant make claims.
    its all tied into legal reasons why storms are called now what they are.

the storm in new england today, 10-20 years ago would be considered just a typical winter storm. everyone knew them. everyone planned for and dealt with them.
    but most people in todays world are transplants going to jobs in states theyve never been in before and dont know what to expect any given month. they are learning it for the first time.
    sorta like people that buy homes in the tall pines of the sierra nevada and cry when their houses burn down.

or those who buy in the desert and wonder why snakes are in their garages and wolves eat their poodles.

or build on the coast and hurricanes blow them away.

or buy in texas and complain about heat.

or move to LA and complain about earthquakes.

or.....(add your own)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

I can tell you that the state of Connecticut is not equipped to handle this much snow. This is my suburban as a reference to how much it snowed at my house

Attached Files:

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Oh and I still can't get out of my neighborhood. The plows have not come through yet.

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

The media these days blows everything out of proportion and yeah people in this country have turned into a country of whiners and sissies. Ive seen more snow here in Alabama. Geez.

11. CA357

Having lived in the Sierra Nevada's and some smaller ranges, I'm astonished at people's sheeplike attitudes. It's a winter storm. This is winter! Storms. Get the connection?

Geez. :rolleyes:

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Since Global Warming has been debunked, and renamed Climate Change, they gotta hype what they can.

13. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

It seems like anything that happens in the New York-Boston area is big news, even though it has nothing to do with the rest of the country. I suppose it's because there are so many millions of people jammed together in that area. We get storms here in Oklahoma like that about every three decades or so but guess what, we just handle it, and it doesn't make the national news usually either.

14. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

It thundered around here today and the ground got wet.....almost.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Disaster draws audience. Audience garners market share. Market share dictates cost/value of commercial advertising.

Cable providers and sattelite companies can and do track what you watch and when. The networks use this data to justify the per minute rate they charge for advertising. The Nielson boxes are pretty much a thing of the past.

Why do you think the news networks constanly tease us with the upcoming "breaking" story? They want you to stay tuned as long as possible to boost viewership.

16. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I hear that, I'd gladly take a couple of feet of snow at this point, we need the moisture. ;)

17. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Attached Files:

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Fixed that for you!

Its all about the region and the mindset. I experienced a 1.5" snowstorm in Albuquerque NM once that caused more accidents than an entire winter in Upstate NY produced, its was just crazy watching these folks that had no idea how to handle driving on snot doing it anyways! They were actually using graders to remove 1.5" of snow off the road and it was all melted off by noon!

8/10th of NY considers a foot of snow a dribble! Ive got 6" in the driveway and not even considering moving it, Thats why both the wife and I have 4WD!!! Too early in the season to start fretting a measly 6" of snow! I get sad when I wake up to 4' in the driveway (about twice a season)!

Were Lucky, we know its coming and were prepared for it. The Plow Boys come out before most New Yorkers are awake and snow falls that would shut down 45 of 50 states rarely even cause school cancellations here.

The thread is appropriate, the reporters are drumming up weather even if it doesnt exist "The Impending Storm Season" isnt Breaking news!!!!! Get a life, My 6yo Granddaughter is scared to death of "Breaking News", especially the weather, its ridiculous. Shes forever asking if a dark cloud is gonna cause a flood or a breeze will lift up her house, enough of it!

19. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Attached Files:

20. orangello

orangello New Member

This thread was from last winter guys. Feb Ru Ary

Good to see CA357 posts though. :(