Out of state Walmart would not sell to me

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 12fretter, Apr 23, 2013.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

OK, before I go any further, it was in New York State. I was in Syracuse, my home town, for a wedding this past weekend, went it to a Walmart, they had 9mm ammo so I told him I would take 3 boxes. He asked if I had a permit, I said yes. He asked to see it, I showed it. He called his manager, and his manager told him he couldn't sell it to me because it was not a valid NY state permit.

That's total BS.

I went to another sporting goods store, and he told me he would be more than happy to sell me ammo. Of course, he didn't have any!

I hate Walmart. I hate New York State. This was the nail in the coffin of ever moving back to my hometown.

2. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Why do I get the feeling you are only giving us half the story??

Jim

3. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

No idea, but that is exactly what happened.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Problem number 1: You were in NY.
    Problem number 2: you were in a Wal-Mart.
    Wal-mart isn't really known for their high quality employees. They aren't going to research it for you, if they aren't sure, they ain't doing it. From their perspective, selling you ammo ain't worth legal troubles if they aren't sure.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Wallyworld and Dick's are known to make up their own rules. Under Federal law, you can buy a long gun from an FFL in any state. Dick's will only sell to a resident of that or an adjoining state.

6. britishbulldog

britishbulldog New Member

I'm a British citizen green card holder living in Oregon. I've bought many guns and types of ammunition from all sorts of places in the US with no problems, I even have an FFL 03 (C&R) license however dicks refused to sell me 2 boxes of 30-06 because I'm not a US citizen.

On checking out the register signing pad stated that I had to be a citizen or a green card holder which I am. They still refused me.

I agree, they totally make up their own rules

7. PC167

PC167 New Member

Yup, my wife ordered 1000rds of 7.62×39 from sportsman guide for a good price, it took her a whole whopping minute and a half to do it. :O

:p

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, at least you know now not to ever move back. They may have saved you some trouble; imagine if a NY LEO had caught you with that ammo hoard; heck, three boxes of 9mm and a Glock (anything not a revolver or 1911) would have probably been considered an "arsenal".

You might still be under a jail somewhere; you should send Wally's corporate a strongly worded thankyou email explaining how they saved you legal expense money. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Nobody ever said I had any weapons with me in New York State. And there is no law saying I can't buy ammo and transport it in my vehicle across state lines. I was in no danger of breaking any laws, even those barbaric ones in NY.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm green font in my post.

11. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Is THAT what that means?? I'll know next time!

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Like parents tell their kids about deceased pets, you are "in a better place now"; just feel bad for those left behind and enjoy the sweet iced tea.
    :)

13. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I'm confused you have to have a permit to buy ammo in Ny?

14. rangerXLT91_05

rangerXLT91_05 New Member

that is very odd, I don't get that at all here and nor does it specify anywhere that you need a permit, and what kinda permit at that? It simply says here only 3 boxes of ammo per customer per day.

15. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I thought it was crazy too, until I realized I wasn't in Kansas (or Tennessee) anymore. I probably could have asked to speak to the manager and brow beat him about the absence of laws he was trying to enforce, but it's Walmart, and he's probably a college graduate with a degree in Philosophy.

But, boy was I mad walking out of that store!

16. greenr19

greenr19 New Member

Wal mart in NYS will only sell to someone with a valid NYS pistol permit. Walmart won't even sell to a law enforcement officer unless they preset a valid permit.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

One of my co-workers went into a Wally world near his house to buy pellets. They asked for an FID card (Ma) He said since it is not loaded ammo, he does not need an FID. He called the police. They informed the dept. manager and GM that unless he was younger then 16 years of age, the had to sell him pellets.

18. cottontop

cottontop Guest

dicks

Why do you think they call it dicks?
    ct

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'm so glad that I load all of my ammo,and don't have to deal with these idiot's.

20. langenc

langenc New Member

Id love to visit the east coast, Maine etc. I refuse to go thry NY to get there from MI and Canada is worse..

When I have to go West I consider it a good day when I do NOT set foot in ILLinois. Gas up car, empty bladder, get a burger and start driving till I get thru, either E or W bound.