out of state purchase

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by endobro, Aug 31, 2014.

1. endobro

endobro New Member

Found a gun I want to purchase out of state. What are average FFL costs?

Also what is the preferred way of paying for the gun?

Lastly what info should I get from my FFL to give to seller?

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Around here its $20 to receive a transfer. Send the seller your FFL phone number and address and they will exchange license info and you're good to go.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

In my current neck of the woods most FFL shops are somewhat extortionist in transfer fees ($35-45). Don't forget to get an agreement in shipping cost and who is paying that.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I pay $25. The shipper will need a copy of the receiving FFL's license to document that the gun was shipped across state lines to an FFL holder. Some FFL holders will only receive guns from fellow FFL holders, so be sure to ask your receiving FFL holder if buying from an individual.

I have used both personal checks and money orders. My bank does not charge me for money orders. The sellers usually hold the gun until your check clears before shipping.

I have also paid for guns with, gasp, PayPal.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I would shop the transfer fees around. In my neck of the woods, it varies from $20-$60.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go to gunbroker.com, use their "find a FFL" function. Searches from your zip code for dealers that have registered as being willing to act as a transfer FFL. Here in VA price varies from $15 to $100.

If the shipper is a FFL, they will need the receiving dealer's license. If a private citizen, the license number. They should include a copy of their driver's license so that receiving dealer can log it into his bound book.

Payment? What does seller want? Would not send cash, postal money orders are difficult to counterfeit, CAN be hard to cash. If paying by check, expect seller to hold item until check clears.