Out of state florida carry permit ok in Miami?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by TheNYResistance, Oct 21, 2012.

1. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

Does Miami have its own laws a la NYC vs. NYS carry laws?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

It might - you should be able to find Florida gun laws online which should include laws peculiar to individual cities.

If you're traveling with a New York permit (just a wag based on "TheNYResistance"), I guarantee you it is no good in any other state. New York has no reciprocity with any other state.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

FL requires CCW from your home state. Say your from IL and have a CCW from TN. It's NFG. About NY don't know. You can carry in your car glove box w/o a CCW in FL as well as many other states. The NRA store has a booklet with info. on all states re: reciprocity. I will post title later.

4. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Just make sure Fl accepts your cwp from your state an your fine. I'f we don't you can carry it in a center console or glove box anyway.

5. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Miami has no extra laws like NYC, actually I would suggest bringing it with you. What state are you from? Reciprocity laws do have to be accounted for.

6. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

Just to be clear to everyone, I have a concealed carry permit from Florida already, and I know I'm ok there. I just needed to know if Miami had seperate laws.

While new york's permit alone is not valid in many states, Florida does give permits to New Yorkers, and you don't need a permit in your home state just proof of a firearms safety class or hunting cert class which at the time that was all I had, now I have my NYS permit as well.

7. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Yea then ur fine, Miami has the same laws as the whole state.

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Do any cities or local munipalities laws differ from the state that you know of ?

9. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Not that I know of. I believe Florida law is the whole state and none of the cities are exempt from it. From what I've read there are no counties or cities that have different laws pertaining to concealed carry permitees.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Florida's state laws do not allow local authorites to make separate laws dealing with guns. State law is the law. All you have to do is determine if Florida accepts your states carry permit. Florida firearms laws are available on-line.

11. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

NYC is a freak of nature where it's gun laws are concerned. When I retired from the NYPD in the 80's I was required to obtain a carry permit where I lived. Then I had to have the city issue a permit as well, which also required a fee. Even retired police officers from other locals were not permitted to carry in the city. After paying for my 2nd renewal the then Gov. Mario Cuomo passed a law that allowed retired police officers in NYS to renew their permits free of charge. That was one thing he did that was right. After that the city dropped the requirement that I get a permit there as well. Guess since I wouldn't pay a fee it would cost them money to issue it. This proves it all goes back to money. Now all retired PO's can carry in the city.

I've had a Fla carry for over 5 years and just renewed for 7. As retired LE we can qualify each year in order to carry in all states for a fee under fed law HR218. Since I only travel to a state that accepts the Fla lic. I see no reason to bother qualifying each year. People must be careful with the Fla carry as well, cause certain states recognize only Fla residents and not the non resident permit.

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Indiana and a couple other states recognize all other states alid permits.

As to the ops question, its a Florida issued permit so yes, unless miami has its own weird laws like nyc. Best to check ahead of time with the issuing authority of the permit in question.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012