Out of state CCW permits

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Paladin201, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I just heard something that may be of interest to people with out of state CCW permits or those considering it. I don't know. I'm just passing on what I was told. But my source is a local LEO. Does he know what he's talking about? Don't know. Again, just passing it along.

Here in Missouri, there are a number of gun laws at the state level that restrict and or ban guns in certain locations. For instance, within so much distance of a public school. Missouri's CCW law has wording that specifically covers these cases. In other words, if you have a valid Missouri CCW permit you are exempt from some of these restrictions. But although Missouri recognizes out of state permits, those out of state permits do not gain the benefit of those exemptions. Specifically again, I was told that if you are carrying and you drive down a road that passes a school and you happen to get stopped in the school zone, if you have a Missouri CCW permit you are fine. But if you have an out of state permit, you are still subject to arrest for violating a state no gun zone.

Again, I don't know, just passing on what I was told. Personally, it sounds a bit wishy washy. But I thought I'd run it up the flag pole and see who salutes it. Even if its a one finger salute.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry- have to wave the BS flag on this. The term is reciprocity- meaning my state has agreed to treat license holders from YOUR state the same as OUR license holders.

When someone tells me about what they heard, I tend to take it with a very LARGE grain of salt, and ask them to show me the law or regulation. Usually, they cannot.

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Looks like it was the one finger variety....

4. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Like I said, just passing on what I was told. It smelled fishy to me too.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not intended as such, but I run across a lot of "someone told me" that just ain't so.

For a State to do that, they would violate the reciprocity agreement they have with other states.

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Oh, I know...shoulda put up the :D

I was jus' tryin' to be funny. Sorry :(

7. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Nothing to be sorry for. No harm, no foul.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Cool, man...thanks. :)