Our Newest Feature, the Specialty Badges!

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by notdku, Apr 15, 2011.

1. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I'm quite pleased to announce the first in series of badges we are designing for our community and I wanted to clarify some questions I'm getting.

Why only AR15?

We are developing the system, we look forward to making one for every specialty involved with firearms.

How do I get one?

Send me a private message with a link to your build. Once I have confirmed that you are a Builder, I will add it under your user name.

How can I help speed the other badges along?

Here is a link.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/we-need-your-input-new-ftf-badges-41334/#post487150

As you can see we are already making progress.

Is this available to everyone?

Yes it is, provided you meet the criteria.

If you have any other questions please send me a private message or post it in this thread.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I posted this in the Club House also. Due to space restrictions, could the badges be set up in a block in the siganture area instead of the username/avatar area?

3. notdku

It could, but then we would have to limit signature space.

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

The space restrictions came to mind when I first heard of this. Great Idea by the way.

One Question:

What qualifies you as a builder? Just one AR? Putting together a lower and slapping on a complete upper?

Possible Solution? :

Maybe a color coordination or number system would be helpful to distinguish novice from expert. That way everyone is included who has achieved a build, but folks that have dozens under their belt and/or experience with different configurations in conjunction with varying levels of creativity and volume could also be recognized for their achievements that are above and beyond the normal scope of the platform and other individual builds. This would apply to other weapons, not just ARs

Just a thought.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

part of the initial thought has been lost in the roll out.

This is a way to recognize you forum members for your contributions in areas where you have expertise and or experience.

When I looked at all the AR threads I made a list of folks who had done builds AND/OR had quality, intelligent posts. That was my criteria, the term "builder" was selected over expert or something so as to NOT create a ruling elite.

These people have experience recognized by this forum. Nothing more than that.

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I think it's a great idea. Especially as lo0ng as JD is reviewing the co0ntributions made by the individuals. Because with that tag (Badge) under the "User Name" all members new and old will believe that person to be competent enough to give advice on the subject. :) .. . Do I get one. . .

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I've already been told that "Beer Drinker" does not qualify for a tag. (Something about space on the server could not accomadate so many tags.)

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. You just have to PM notdku and he will add it.

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

When will we know what the available badges are?

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

and to think that my High School Guidance counselor said that I would never amount to anything. :( Look at me know biatch! :p

:D

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm off to PM Notdku that I think we should have a 'mall ninja' badge.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

We are still trying to narrow them down.

We are thinking it needs to lack "authority" so the words like "expert" or "master" are not going to be included.

To avoid 60 tabs, we can't have Glock/Ruger/Sigma/1911/HK/Sig, we need to restrict it to at least an official armorer certificate. Without it, we are adding tabs every time someone buys a new gun, not viable.

We are open to suggestions, hence why we started this thread. ;)

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Aficionado or Enthusiast are my suggestions. It does not equate to being an expert but does imply that the individual has a greater than normal interest in a given platform/subject.

Limiting it to platforms as opposed to brands might make it easier to limit badges. 1911 , AR-15, revolver, bolt action rifle, gunsmithing. I know that leaves out a lot but ehh, I can't think of a better solution. "Pistol" would just be to generic in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

So all the AR-15 builders have an official armorer certificate? Sweet!

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Maybe he's taking a day off, it is Sunday. Hopefully he's out at the range. :)

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Not going to be happy until you run this concept into the ground, are you?:mad:

Sure would be nice if you suggested some solutions instead of just sniping at what you perceive as a slight.

17. notdku

Nope, in laws.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I guess I shouldn't complain as much as I do about my in-laws. . . THEY SHOOT!!! :)

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Some folks just aren't happy unless they have something to ***** about. . . My wife was having the same problem today, except everytime I took it upon myself to offer a solution she made sure there was something wrong with it. . .

20. suprdave

suprdave New Member

You guys are just TRYING to break my heart! The only other thing I'm good at id shooting ducks and other flying objects. JD, I'm holding you personally responsible for ruining my dreams!