Ouch! Me no likey shotgun pistol grip...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by RufusTFirefly, Sep 25, 2011.

1. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I recently bought a pistol grip for my Maverick 88, and went out to shoot it in that config for the first time today. I was firing #7-1/2 and some #4. Wow! was I surprised. The web of my hand was taking a severe beating on each shot. It didn't matter how firmly I gripped, it was all the same. Definitely took all the fun out of shooting that thing.

On a side note, the other drag about the pistol grip, is it makes it very difficult/awkward to get to the bolt release lever.

That's enough for me- I'm going back to my trusty shoulder stock.

Rufus

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

What brand pistol grip do you have? I have a hogue tamer and i shoot 3'' high brass slugs and buck shot out of my mossberg with no issues. Sure it kicks a little bit but hey that's expected. I have also broken both of my wrists and both of my arms ( bad breaks also) and it doesn't bother me too much.

Either way though, bummer that you are not satisfied with your grip.

3. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

It's the OEM Mossberg grip...

Attached Files:

4. Mitch

Mitch New Member

You could always get a side folding pistol grip stock. Best of both worlds. Mine is six position adjustable and folds next the receiver when i want to go compact. Just a thought.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

rufus i put one on a remington 870 several years ago, hated that thing. went back to the OEM stock! some people like them, some don't.

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

They look cool when the 105 pound Hollywood chicks blow the bad guys away with blanks. That's where they are best utilized in my opinion.

7. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Mitch, thanks, I did consider that. But I'm a very no frills/bare bones kind of guy when it comes to firearms. I like to keep it simple. I don't care for all the bling and fancy accessories. I'm afraid it will just be a distraction and get in the way if the S ever HTF.

Rufus

8. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Going back to regular stock sounds like the right thing to do for you, but if ever you want to try a different set up I can tell you I am happy with my Spec Ops Black Hawk recoil suppression stock - comes with pistol grip so its a good combination. Does not hurt me at all - I could shoot all day with that set up.

9. rab

rab New Member

Ati

I just got an ATI from Combat Optical for my NEF Pardner Pump 12(870 clone):

Start;
    SKU: A.5.10.2351
    Remington 870 Shotgun Talon Rear Pistol Grip ...Special Offer!

ATI Talon Shotgun Rear Pistol Grip for 12 Gauge Remington 870 Shotguns The NEW Talon Shotgun Rear Pistol Grip features the Triton Mount System and the Scorpion Recoil Pistol Grip.

•Scorpion Recoil System

Recoil impact is absorbed - Shooting anything from a 3.5” magnum turkey load to a door breaching load can now be done with no pain being transferred to the shooter Reduces the challenge to reacquire the target by minimizing the muzzle lift Not affected by chemicals, load size or extreme temperatures Eliminates the punch of the recoil Removes limitations from spring and piston type recoil suppression systems Absorbs the energy wave regardless of the load size which makes it perfect for any type of Firearm.

•Triton Mount System
    • Constructed of Military Type III Anodized, 6061 T6 Aluminum
    • Securely fasten your ATI Tactical Stock or Rear Pistol Grip with No Specialized Tools
    • Angled, Self-Aligning Dovetail Locking System for easy, secure installation
    • Interchangeable Sling Mount locations for left- and right-handed shooters
    • Additional Spacer for when sling mounts are not in use
    • Eliminates the Need for Extra Adapters
    • DuPont® Extreme Temperature Glass Reinforced Polymer
    • Manufactured in the USA
    • Limited Lifetime Warranty

Fits: Fits: 12 Gauge Remington 870
    end;

It fits just fine. I has a strange semi-jell portion on the back of the grip. I should be able to get out and try it shortly. Will include a pic when I do.

10. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Thanks rab... I'll be interested to hear your results.

Rufus

11. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

I put a hogue on mine as well no issues at all maybe you should change your setup

12. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

13. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

This.

Unless you are hiding it in an extremely limited space, or have no intention of using it as an actual weapon, pistol-grips are entirely Hollywood. I mean, a collapsing stock adds like 5" to the gun over a PGO setup (seriously, with a PG most shotguns are like 30" long, whereas with a 13" LOP my 18.5" M590A1 was about 38" long--a collapsable stock will remove another 3" from that OAL for a collapsed length of 35". So, unless a 35" gun truly won't fit where you're hiding it, compactness isn't the big deal.

As far as compactness indoors. For that split second where you're passing through a doorway or rounding a corner, it isn't at all difficult to tuck the stock under the strong-side arm for the exact same compactness as a PGO setup. Then, you can immediately re-shoulder the weapon and have vastly increased ability to aim and shoot rapidly.

The only people who are really justified in using PGO setups are our military, but that's because they are only using a short-barreled version to blow open a door, after which they sling it and re-ready their M4s.

But, there are lots of people who just think they are cool or who have justified them in one way or another who will hate this post. But, spend some time over in "The Basement" of ShotgunWorld and you won't find a single person who has ever used shotguns for serious purposes advocate a PGO setup (except for door-breaching).

14. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

+1 for the Rogue Tamer. Its overmolded with tacky rubber goodness.

15. proffitt

proffitt New Member

I think jus depends on the person. My moss 600 has pistol grip top folding stock. I have no issues with it hurting my hands. True u can place a normal stock under ur arm jus the same. If u shoot pistold then pistol is jus nstural.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Pistol grip certainly not my favorite. Weight too lopsided.

17. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

+1 for the Blackhawk spec ops stock with recoil reducing springs. Well worth the money and you get the adjustability of an m4 style stock. I didn't care for the mossberg pistol grip either. Hope this helps. :)

18. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Full size, full power, magnum, hunting, trap or buckshot loads can be a real pain, especially with a 12 gauge.

Reduced recoil buckshot or 2" buckshot loadings are very controllable and more comfortable to fire with a pistol gripped shotgun if a person is interested in home defense or social work.

You get greater magazine capacity as a bonus too.

I stocked up on these (below) for home defense a couple years ago.
    Please don't enter my home uninvited in the wee hours. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

neil, where did you buy those at? those look interesting enough to want to try out.

20. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member