Other than .223

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by FMtango, Sep 1, 2010.

1. FMtango

FMtango New Member

I am really contiplating an AR soon but really wish to shy away from .223 because I would like to use it for deer and other game.
    Now I have seen the 6.8 and 6.5 out there and the Remington R25 in 7mm08 to .308. All in all I guess the rifles are basically identical except for the caliber.

How does the 6.8 stack up to 7mm08 and 7.62x39 in these platforms? Or should I just opt for the .308?

2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Check which caliber goes in to which AR platform first. This will dramatically affect your rifle's price. I am positive the 7mm and .308 rounds are in AR10s, pretty sure the 7.62x39 is as well. There are also some other options out there though. Look for Olympic Arms ARs, they offer an AR15 based rifle in .300 WSSM. May be a perfect option for a hunting rifle in the less expensive AR15 platform.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I hunt whitetails with a 7mm-08 using a 140 grain Nozler ballistic tip. This is very adequate for whitetails.

I just completed an AR build in 6.8 for my granddaughter to hunt whitetails with. Were using a 110 grain V-Max bullet and IMHO this may be the very minimum caliber for medium size game. I chose this caliber because of the reduced recoil.

If I were to buy one all around hunting caliber in an AR format it would be in .308 hands down.

This is just my opinion and does not reflect the views of the entire forum.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

How about a 458SOCOM?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FMtango

FMtango New Member

I dont know anything about that .450 scocm. It does look to be fairly expensive.
    I do want something unique but not exotic. I even bang my head on surplus stuff quite a bit. All around fun I guess comes in .308

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I believe the OP asked about White Tail not White Rhinos...:D

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The AR-10 is built to take the 308 and all rounds based on it.

243 win
    260 rem
    7mm-08
    308 win
    358 win.

From everything I have read the 6.8 is only good for deer up to about 150 yards. Same with the 6.5 SPC.

If your wanting to hunt I would look at the GASP Remington R-25 line. My next full ar buy is going to be an AR-10 in 260 rem.

8. FMtango

FMtango New Member

I have been looking to the R25 in .308 and I guess I could work that around 900
    from the Academy store in our area. It sort of puts things in perspective ammo wise. What I was wanting is an accurate, versitile, almost every thing caliber and it looks as if the .308 is it.
    I am new to ARs as sporting and hunting rifles though. I have even concidered an M1A but refuse to pay 2K for one then I think on how tough they are and I know them better from handling them in the service.
    What is the lightest weight bullet in .308 that may be used in an AR platform?