Other folks' Ruger Revolver Comments

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by DrFootball, May 18, 2014.

1. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Was just wondering what folks thought of the Ruger LCR line versus their older Revolvers( Security and Speed Sixes). While the Polymer frame fills up most folks hands well enough, the factory grip is less then comfortable. On my wife's SP101, she needed the Houge Monogrip. Has anyone put one on their LCR? A different Grip?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I like Hogue soft rubber grips and use them on my DW revolvers even have a Hogue soft rubber palm swell grip panels on my 1911 and put a Hogue on my Taurus 85ss for training and ccw class for my girls and friends so they would have a little extra to help with control. I have shot an 38sp lcr and with 38+P ammo I did not think it was that bad as a carry grip but can understand a newer shooter would not be found of them. If you think you need them give one a try.

3. DrFootball

Thanks Hardluk. It's not for me. It's for the wife. I rented and shot the LCR in 22Mag. last year, and I personally had no need to change the grip. i might think different with 38+P's or 357's...May be a moot point. Wife wants my SR9 now! Told her we can get her, her own in Stainless two Tone...

4. s4s4u

s4s4u New Member

My LCRx came with the Hogue monogrip with the sorbathane insert and I love it. Fits perfect and cushions rather well.

5. DrFootball

She has the Orig. But she's going to "Trade it back for either the Hammered model, or possibly something else. She likes Heavier guns and grips that help soak up recoil, but they are too much to carry and Draw from her purse or from inside the SUV. We record "The Best Defense", and "Stop the Threat" and watch a few Others, plus DVDs and Online Vids so we can discuss scenarios and plan. We also practice some Drills when we shoot outside. Hopefully our spot in the Desert isn't too full this weekend. We're bringing some folks for a "Shooting Picnic" Saturday afternoon. Might be the last outdoor shooting other then the Matches until Oct.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I like the LCR with adjustable buckhorn sights but the 3 dot sights are hard for me to shoot. I have the same issue with the LC9. I could see the buckhorn sights causing problems with a ladies attire.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  7. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When I saw the thread title, I thought I was going to pop in here and sing the praises of my favorite Ruger - the New Model Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. But then I read your opening post. :( :p

8. DrFootball

You still Can!! I wish I could get. Redhawk or Super Redhawk in 41Mag to go with my Dan Wesson,.or find another S&W 57 or 58 like the one I had,...
    We like the SA 22's as well. stainless single 6/9/10's are nice too!

9. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Don't want a plastic gun. It's just me. I've shot several. Don't much care for Glock flexing, in my grip or Ruger, possibly.
    I want steel or stainless and wood in my guns.
    Don't have Security Six but a Stainless Vaquero and Stainless .22/.22Mag Security Six. and Stainless .22 slab side barrel Hunter with glass. and a Ruger .22 auto stamped mad in the 200th year of American Liberty. It's been accurized but I have all the parts to put it back. Like them all but the triggers are no where as good as a Colt Revolver Trooper.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well! Did your wife get the SR9? Hows she like it.

11. DrFootball

Not yet. Guy has not gotten back to me after the initial contact. She liked mine plenty good right now. She must think I'm giving it to her even if I get the Stainless. I put some minor work into the orig. Blued one, to make it more comfortable( rubber over grip and fringerest mag. Bottoms after I experimented with Double sided Electrical Stick tape) so that one stays with me. If I make that deal, she's getting 2 of the 3 the guy is selling. She wants the CH.SPL. Too. She has my late FIL's but she doesn't want to shoot it, it was his very first off Duty gun and it's 60 yrs. Old. (1954, when he first went on the Job).....

12. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I used to carry a .357 Speed Six. I don't know if you can compare those bigger frame Rugers to the LCR, but I do have an LCR in .357 which I keep loaded with .38.

13. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have an LCR 357. Shooting it with full mag loads is never much fun - lots of blast and recoil.

I carry her with .38 Spl loads and never feel undergunned.

I prefer the Ruger boot grip.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
    Winston Churchill

14. DrFootball

We got the Wife Houge Mono Grips on her SP101. The LCR Grip is good, but she needs the extra space of the Houge. She does well with the full sized Grip on my Security Six...

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have always liked Ruger ergonomics...but the shortened grip on the LCR took some getting used to. Once I got proficient with it in .38 I started carrying it quite often. Too light a frame IMO to handle magnum loads all the time.

16. Geosully

Geosully New Member

My speed six is a four inch stainless model. It would probably be the last gun I would ever consider getting rid of. It will do everything that can be reasonably expected of a handgun, and will last forever. That is all.