Ostrich skin grips.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by BillyHart, Nov 25, 2012.

1. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

ForumRunner_20121125_230423.jpg

Something new I was trying this is the first attempt.I will make another pair later this week.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm a big fan of leather grips. Looking forward to your next pair.

3. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

I wasnt to sure how they would turn out but these grips seem to have a realy nice feel there are a few mistakes on this pair that I will correct on the next.

4. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Never tried SKIN grips but they sound interesting. I wonder how they hold up and wether get slick with use.

5. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

I have not had them on long enough to know cane can probally tell you more about how well leather grips hold up.

6. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Leather starts to smell after a while when it gets wet, especially if your hands sweat and that happens a lot while shooting. Nobody wants a gun that stinks. It will get dirty for sure as well, so how can it be cleaned, or is it even worth it? Also, leather grips if kept on the gun permanently may cause the gun metal to pit, or rust. These are just some questions I would have, especially if I was thinking about putting leather grips on a gun I cared about. They do look good though and are interesting.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Tell ya what. In light of what gunsmoke just said, I'll risk my gun finish and test them long term for you for free. I'll even pay the shipping.

I'll give a detailed report on any rust or pitting, a weekly smell report, and adverse conditions gripping and durability.

8. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

Trip let me get another pair done this week.like I said there are a few mistakes on this pair and I will take you up on that . It will be good for me to have an unbiased opinion.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Why thank you!!! I really meant that in jest, but I'll be more than happy to accept!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now, where's that guy that was considering trading me his AR for my corndog?....

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

If they were stained brown they would match a avenger holster i have perfect, all i would need then is some boots to match lol

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Something that cool, I won't be worrying about matching. I already don't match, with black cowboy boots, dark brown belt with rattlesnake skin buckle, and an almost reddish tanned holster!!!

I'm a man fashion disaster!!! ;)

12. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

Racer. I am glad you posted that because I was just thinking about making a pair in some brown gator and ostrich I just recieved at the shop. Didnt know how the brown would look as grips.

13. racer_x

racer_x New Member

A man in Phoenix,Az made the holster for me i love it!! Id be real interested in a brown pair of grips. The holster looks real nice against my stainless 1911

14. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

I will post a pic as soon as I finish them.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

And if that's not the exact model gun I have, it's damn close. SA Milspec?

16. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

That one is actually a iver johnson (sam) 1911a1 very acurate. the only thing I did to it was a trgger job had around 7 lbs pull. I do want to add a beavertail and wilson bulletproof triiger.

17. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

Thats trigger. my typing is not to good tonight.