Ors 166.291 law

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Bandit1776, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Bandit1776

Bandit1776 New Member

I kept hearing I needed to take a concealed classes to get my license which would have cost me at least $80. I found out by reading the law I am exempt as a veteran to have to take a course because of my military service (In section E). But everyone in my area says my local Sheriff doesn't allow this and MAKES people take the NRA or Sheriffs class.

IS HE BRAKING STATE LAW?!? :anyone:

Issuance of concealed handgun license

ORS 166.291

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ask for clarification, don't go with confrontation.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You need to find out if EVERYONE includes the Sheriff.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Many people retire from military service after 30 years and never touched a handgun.

Most combat veterans were never issued, or trained on a handgun. All troopers have rifle training. Damn few have handgun training.

5. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Spend the $80

6. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Second that. To much trouble to not do it.

7. JWagner

JWagner New Member

If the class is anything like the ones around here, it will include a lot on state laws regarding the use of firearms. That is useful knowledge that can keep you out of trouble. Well worth it.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I handgun class is always a good investment. I am an army vet. But I have been out too long to be exempt in Colorado. I went into the class thinking they had nothing to teach me. I was wrong. It was a great class. I really enjoyed it. I am now a safety officer with the IDPA club for the same company that taught the class. I have met a bunch or really great people through the club. No matter how good you are, you can get something out of a good class.

9. Bandit1776

Bandit1776 New Member

I appreciate all the advice but no one has answered my question...

If he refuses to except my military service as an acceptable document is he breaking the law?

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Hire a lawyer and ask him.

11. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I second the lawyer if youre that concerned. Although a lawyer costs more than the course so.....you know. As others have said, if he is breaking the law, do you really want to get involved in a law suit with the local sheriff? Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet, no pun intended.

12. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

As far as I can tell, no one on here is a lawyer. As I read what you originally posted, I would say yes. But you need someone with "Esq" after their name for legal clarification.

I would spend the $80.00 for the training. The more training that you have the better it would be for you. :D

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Kentucky has a similar law. Problem is fighting a stubborn sheriff is more costly than taking the course. I would ask the sheriff himself. Some of those people who are saying this stuff may just be pissed at the sheriff for some reason or another, and he may be OK with it. What we are all telling you is that you are probably right about the point, but you will spend a lot more than 80 bucks to fight it. Your call.

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

It depends on whether you are in a "Shall Issue" state. If your state is "May Issue", then the Sheriff has some authority to require the class. If your state is "Shall Issue", then you do qualify and he "Shall Issue". His refusal is probably, repeat probably, breaking the law.

BUT!!! Internet forum legal opinions are worth less than what you paid for them. Think about the bigger picture.

1. Taking the class will improve your awareness of many of the laws relating to you when you are armed in public.
    2. The Sheriff is the one to ask about whether the Sheriff is requiring the class for Veterans, not someone who says the Sheriff still requires it. Does the person telling you this have anything to do with giving you that training?
    3. Did your military service provide you with handgun training? "(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;" If not, the Sheriff has no way to know what your capabilities are. The class ensures that you have at least as much training as non-Veterans.

Not saying you can't shoot a handgun. Just saying the class is probably worth the $80 if only for the training in the laws. And ask the Sheriff if he will accept your military service handgun training (which he should according to the section of law you quoted originally).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Question: have you asked your sheriff? Could been allowed this worrying is for nothing. Give him the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot more pro 2A sheriffs than most people realize.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015